♂the boy who read

CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
_____________________

"𝐩𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐜?" _____________________

_____________________

At long last I have finally managed to escape from the fraught flirtation Moaning Myrtle forced me to endure for a good half hour or so. Shuddering at the recent memory I race through the halls of Hogwarts, continuing at an ungodly speed.

     I sincerely hope that today will be full of good luck, and that by the time I return to the Common Room I'll be greeted by my friends. I'll ideally convince someone to spend a part of their night helping me search for a decent strategy. Nothing spectacular; I'm not setting my sights on winning, I'm solely looking for something simple enough to, well, keep me alive.

Turning onto the final stretch of the hallway, it seems my luck is already running out as I'm met with the head of another crushing into mine at a speed not unlike my own.

Ouch. Apparently I'm not the only one in a rush.

Hand on my head as I fall to the ground, the pain shifts from my skull to the body parts that just slammed roughly against the hard castle floor from the force of the collision.

As I sit up to find out the identity behind my fellow speed demon, my pain seems to disappear at once, replaced instead with worry.

"y/n," I call, scrambling up from the floor and rushing to her side.

Ron follows suit, appearing at her other side mere milliseconds after I do. I watch closely as he lays a hand on her shoulder, quietly asking if she's okay.

While it's a very inappropriate time to be feeling envious, I stare begrudgingly at Ron though I even feel guilty to do so.

It's hard to ignore the obvious fact that Ron and y/n have grown closer since she and I have broken up, but it's even harder acknowledging it.

"y/n," I repeat. "I'm so sorry. I wasn't paying attention. Are you okay? Can I do anything to-"

y/n lifts her hand and slaps it over my mouth causing my words to come out muffled. I frown, looking to her for an explanation, and feeling a deep release of tension when a smile takes over her face.

"Shut up," she commands sassily though her underlying laugh allows me to believe that no harm has been done. She shrugs the two of us off of her and raises herself to stand. "While I do greatly appreciate your protective instincts, not every time I get a little boo-boo requires a dramatic rushing to my aid. Got it?"