Chapter 18 - Lucy?!

Finally, I decided that I could not bear so many things in my head at the same time, so I quit from trying to revenge myself. This could wait for a while. The murderer would not go anywhere I couldn’t find, but this vampire might cause a diversion so big that even I might be noticed.

I couldn’t afford any of my friends to get killed again.

I avoided making friends, but they were very nice to me. There were a few girls from the club, and I got along really well with one of the teachers, Mr. Blake. As I was becoming a real vampire day by day, I didn’t choose to start sport lessons, and wore a thick coat that covered myself everywhere I went. Kerwin was even worse in his situation. He only went to night lessons, and he had to wear thick sun-screen and take an umbrella and wear a thick coat at the same time.

Amy was a little worried when she saw this. She must have thought that we were sick or something and she often offered to take us to the hospital to have us checked. She was having a little trouble with school work right now. Peter was too busy with his as well, so she usually came to stay with me. My continual absence at night worried her even more.

As I concentrated on the vampire running around and feeding whenever he liked, I started to notice a lot of unusual things according to it. The bodies were moved right after someone found it, but most of them were gone the other day. Some said that the police had arranged to bury them. Most unusually, a sickness was spreading out near the college. Strong people around the age of twenty or thirty fell suddenly ill and were dead about a few weeks after they realized the illness.

The patients of this kind didn’t feel much pain while the illness spread across their body. Instead, they felt sleepy and cold, and hated sunshine. When they died, they showed signs of sudden blood-shortage, which blood transfer could do nothing to help, and violence. The dead bodies were always white and stone-like only a few minutes after life went away.

That was another reason why Amy was not very comfortable with me doing nothing near a hospital. She was afraid that the disease would spread quickly into the college, and she hated to see such tragic deaths.

I had a bizarre thought when I heard this. I even laughed and told Kerwin about my suspicion. “It seemed that a vampire was creating an army without biting anyone. But that is impossible, isn’t it?” Kerwin’s face was unreadable at this, and he merely grunted and went back to bed a little later.

The latest attack set a wave of panic through the whole school. Amy couldn’t sleep at her own dormitory at night, so she came over. I watched her fell asleep rather quickly when I promised her I would stay all night beside her. She was holding her pillow tightly in her arms and rolling around in her sleep.

I lay down on the floor: I didn’t think I could resist the temptation of feeding on her if I stayed too close. My collection was reduced, mainly because I hadn’t been able to get out of school with these things going on.

There was a familiar scent, and I heard some tapping on the window. I looked up and saw it was Lucy! She was signaling at me to come outside.

I hadn’t seen her for a long time. I didn’t think she went to college when she had the chance, because she would rather stay at her village and loyally protect and fulfill her duty in her hometown. She didn’t even appear at the funeral. The last meeting with her was when she came to congratulate me at the graduation.

Her skin had darkened over the few months, and she had dark circles around her eyes. Her hair was untidy, and she was sweating from the running she apparently just did. There was no one else with her.

I thought she was coming to ask for my help to solve the vampire problem. It was not her deputy here, but she couldn’t bear human being unable to fight back. I walked towards her, and she crouched back into a defensive way. I shrank back, holding my hands up before me: “Lucy, what do you think you are doing? Why did you come here? Is there something you would like to say? I think I have proved that I am your friend!”

“Friend?” Lucy snarled, “I see you could still keep a straight face when it was you who was lurking around at the campus, feeding whenever you like, and even building up an army to gain control of this land. How would you think if my pack advanced on your little army, and crush them to dust, eh?”

I blinked in astonishment. Lucy was always calm and intelligent, in my opinion. That was why she was elected to be the spokeswoman at the pack, even though she was not the most powerful and most experienced werewolf in it. I should thought that her talent was one of the reasons, but her personality was more important. I had never seen her so angry, with so much fury burning in her dark eyes.

I shrank back a little, leaving a safe distance between her and me. I was just outside the dorm, and she surely wouldn’t attack if there was a chance any human would be hurt. I almost pleaded: “Lucy, calm down and tell me what happened! I have been doing anything I can to stop that vampire at school, and I can use some help! Actually, Kerwin is here too, and I’m sure with us two and your pack, we can take that git down!”

Lucy barked a dark laugh: “My pack? MY PACK! You dare talk about them like that? Two weeks after you left for college, my pack was attacked and totally slashed by an army of your kind. I was not there! If I was, I would be able to let you meet the end you deserve, just like I did with that male who came with you!”

“You killed Zach!?” I didn’t notice how my voice had gone all screechy and high, undisguised as a ringing sound followed each word.

She didn’t seem at all sorry or anything, instead, her face lit up with a kind of unexpected triumph: “You noticed, finally, didn’t you? Yeah, it was I who controlled his mind; made him stand into that circle of fire until he is burnt to dust! And you blame me? You never, ever in this whole time, told me that it was your fault we are all trapped in this world,” She sneered at this word, “of your own, treated like little dolls! You never told us that the way to escape here is to kill you! With that Zach firmly protecting you, what do you expect?”

My hands shook with fury, and I threw myself into an attacking position, the determination of keeping this as a secret was long past my worries. I should have known! Lucy’s hidden talent, which I knew all along, was to control person’s minds. She could control one’s mind for as long as she wanted, but she couldn’t use this very often. A month was required every time she did that.

Lucy threw herself forward also, preparing to spring. Just then, the door opened with a crack, that made us both jump in alarm. Amy was standing at the door, her eyes dropping with sleep. She was still holding her pillow tightly, and rubbing her eyes. She seemed to see me, and walked blindly at me, mumbling: “I woke up and you were gone! What are you doing here?” She turned again and saw Lucy.

Lucy’s eyes narrowed, she left without a word. Her figure was gone in a minute, leaving the place with shock and disbelief. I helped Amy back to bed and lay quite awake.

Why? What happened? What was she talking about? My world? These questions swam in the front of my mind. I pushed them away. At least, I had to focus on the one thing that I knew was certain. Lucy killed my brother, my creator. Her pack might even was a firm support behind her.

They had to be killed, to be revenged. Their blood had to be taken to spill on the tomb of Zach’s, as my way of avenging him.

Hehe. Been a while :P Sorry!!!