Hunter

“Morning.” Looking into the mirror, I saw the same face I had seen for hundreds of times. My brother described it in this way: white and black. I hated it, but I couldn’t deny that it’s true. I have dark hair and eyes, and pale skin. I could be called pretty, if others didn’t see me with my brother.

After brushing my teeth briefly, I wondered downstairs. I lived with my brother, and I knew him too well to expect him eating everything that I had prepared for breakfast.

However, to my surprise, I found a formally dressed teenage boy lying comfortably on my couch, smiling widely at me, with my breakfast on the table. I was going to be in a good mood before I saw a pretty girl on the floor beside him.

“What’s this?” I asked, frowning. Zach answered in his usual pleasant voice: “My dinner.” Licking his lips, he added: “What’s that?” I picked up the chicken in my plate: “My breakfast.”

Deciding not to argue with Zach, I went into the kitchen, stabbing a knife furiously at my chicken. Zach looked as if he was going to puke: “Chickens, really? You know, even vampires do have tastes.” “That’s none of your business. Besides, go clean up your ‘dinner’, I hate it when I have to go telling the girls’ parents how my brother have a strange interest in sleeping beauties.” I clenched the chicken upside down to let the blood flow into a little plate, and drank it in one gulp.

“You know every time you have meals, I feel you disdained the name of vampires.” Zach turned his back and headed for the basement, baring his fangs at me playfully, “As your creator, I have to say that I’m deeply disappointed.”

I took a deep breath, carried my bag and the girl to the door, and decided to take my revenge. “Zach, you know when you can block people’s minds from working? I have to say that your talent is quite powerful. It’s blocking your mind from working any minute.” Before he could reach me, I stepped outside with my stuff and slammed the door in his face.

I couldn’t remember many things before I came to this neighborhood. The memories in my head was confusing, like one day I was walking on this street in the 15 centuries, and next day, boom, I’m cooking my food in the microwave oven.

Zach is a vampire, and I am a half changed vampire, if you wanted to be correct. Unlike true vampires, I could stand the sunshine and I didn’t sleep in a coffin. I sleep on a normal bed in a little bedroom up on the second floor, which made Zach stop complaining about his wooden box in the basement.

After getting the beauty back to her home, I started to the school, hidden under a black umbrella. I couldn’t understand why I had to go to school. However, my vampire brother must have thought of a reason, probably something like meeting good dinners at school. Unluckily, I’m the one that was being watched.

From movies and novels, I learned that people now think of vampires as beautiful, smart and powerful creatures. It was true with my brother, but not with me. Because of the lack of memories, I did not have the advantages on studies like normal vampires. I had never performed brilliantly in any of my exams. I’m a good student, but never a favorite.

One of the things that made my creator most furious except my diet was my talent. Most vampires, probably all of them have a kind of talent. Like Zach, he could make people stop thinking for a period of time, for their whole lifetime, if he wanted. Unfortunately, I didn’t seem to have any talent at all. Although I was Ok with how I was right now, my brother had tried almost everything to reveal my talent. The result was zero, and he was finally convinced that I was special after all, just not in a good way, in his opinion.

“Hey, D. How’s it going? Not hungry today?” A pack of girls blocked me at the school gate. The girl’s name was Lucy, the leader of the pack. This world was not as simple as I had thought. There seemed to be a magnate between vampires and werewolves. The first memory I had about Lucy was when I first came to this school. She met me at a Greek class. Leaning towards me, she asked me with a strange smile on her face: “Adele. D. Dracula? That’s your name?”

As soon as I was forced to meet her eyes, I knew I was in trouble. Thanks to the name my Dracula fan brother gave me, a name so vampire-ish. At first I tried to avoid her, only to found out the inhuman speed she had got. Ok, I might be a little slow to sense things around me, but that didn’t mean that I couldn’t tell the difference between a human and a werewolf.

“Oh, D, can we move for a sec.” She signaled for me to follow, “You smell disgusting, like a true blood-sucker. All those perfume and blood.” Then she smiled a sudden big smile. With the only little luck I had in my unlucky life, Lucy had decided to trust me. With that talent of hers, I didn’t think anything could be a problem.

I had to admit, despite the fact that she was a werewolf, she was quite pleasant.

Lucy turned to leave, but came back a few seconds later. She caught my hand to stop me from leaving: “You remember what day tomorrow is, right?” “Um, flag day of Bohemia?” I wasn’t so sure. “It’s the parents’ day.” “I don’t have a parent.” “I guess that your creator will have to come instead. I’m really looking forward to meeting a vampire who could create such a stupid little thing like you. That’s to say, your so-called brother.” She laughed and went away.

“O-oh.” I thought to myself. Although I didn’t feel so good about what she said about me, I am getting pretty worried. Oh god helps me. Ouch, the little cross I hanged on my bag left a faint scar on my skin, disappearing completely after zero point one seconds.

Hey guys.  This is a story written by my cousin.  We both hope you like it, though updates might be sporadic.  Comment, rate and review!