Chapter 6 - The Tape

Zach relaxed after the door was completely closed and there was no sign that the wolves were coming back. Then he looked at me with concern.

I bit my lip. I had always thought that the wolves were my friends since we hunted the other vampire together. I never considered the possibility this might be different to them.

But there was something more important at this point: “What did I do last night? I know you don’t want me to see it, but it’s not your own problem anymore. I need to know. I must know!” Suddenly, I found myself yelling at Zach.

Zach opened his mouth to argue, but then the door bell rang again.

He ran off to the door, opening the door. The scent was unfamiliar. I cocked my head and saw my brother welcoming Kerwin with a stiff smile on his face. Amy and Peter were also there. I could smell them now that the door was open.

Kerwin smiled pleasantly: “I heard that Adele was sick and I met Peter at school. Since they were coming to see you as well, I think I drop in with them.”

Amy was already running to me: “Adele, are you alright? I have never seen you sick before! Is it a big problem?” Sure you didn’t. It would be a miracle to see a vampire sick.

“You are a shade of green, I think, you should lie down.” Amy frowned at me. I had seen her nursing sick students in her free time, helping out in her dad’s clinic. “Why don’t you go sit in that big sofa?”

I obeyed, leaning forward to ask her about her night with Peter.

“En. We didn’t do anything besides looking for you actually,” but the flush on her face told me the little girl was not telling the truth, “We just searched the playground, dance pole and…” She trailed off when she saw my grin.

I poked her lightly: “yeah, nothing sounds like a date.”

It was fun, watching her going red without saying anything. At first it often made me flinging into the bathroom to overcome the thirst. I was already handling my instincts pretty well now.

“Hey, Amy, you didn’t come here just to say these things, did you?” She shouldn’t have brought Peter if that was the case.

“Oh, no. It’s something about you actually.” She looked at me admiringly, “I didn’t know that you act so well before. We brought the tape of the vampire film you were working on. It was short but brilliant. Everyone was watching it.”

I was confused, but I kept a poker face. “Well, I’m glad you liked it. I never knew how it was.”

Peter came towards us and sat right beside Amy, following him were the other two boys. Two male vampires if you want to be accurate. He suggested: “Let’s watch. You were brilliant. You should join our horror film club.”

Kerwin and Zach sat next to me. Zach was serious and worried while Kerwin smiled as usual.

He opened the bag they took with them, taking out a tape. He put it on, and shrank back into the sofa to enjoy himself with Amy and Peter.

I nearly gasped out loud. There was me on the screen. I was wearing the night gown Zach picked for me. This was the night of the prom. Then the three hunters appeared on the screen. I watched them as one of the boys drove his knife through my heart.

I remembered that much. I watched myself dying, or rather petrifying into stone on the screen. Was that what they called brilliant? Peter shushed me when I tried to speak: “The best is after. I couldn’t say you did a bad job at this either, though.”

Amy shrank into my arms, shivering: “I’m not really fond of horror movies, if not for you, I could stand this anymore.”

The corpse-like creature suddenly opened its eyes. Something had changed completely about the vampire. I meant me. She shook off the sand-like stuff on her, and revealed her face. I was stunned. The creature was breathtakingly beautiful even in vampires. Her body fit exactly the dress, and she signed.

She looked like a goddess of darkness before she opened her large crimson eyes.

The camera then turned to the hunters. The little girl tensed and grabbed a bow and put an arrow on. The two men were stunned for a moment, and then fear radiated from every part of them.

The little girl in cloak started the attack by sending an arrow flying to the vampire. I stare at myself on screen, who smiled, showing a row of pearl white teeth. Then I took hold of the arrow with such a grace I would never think I could b capable of. I smiled at the little girl, and drew the arrow in her heart, right where the guy stabbed me.

The scream was barely noticeable in the enraged roars of her companions. Then I watched myself gracefully behead the two men in swift movements. In less than a minute, the crime was done. Blood was everywhere, there was even a few drops on my fingers. I licked it off, and turned to the camera. Stepping slow and firm, I reached the camera wearing a sweet smile. Then the scene blurred and everything went black.

I ran a frightened eye around myself. Amy was still hiding in my arms. Did she knew it could be any moment that I cave in and lung for her throat?

Zach was more than worried now. And Kerwin wasn’t smiling as usual. He was weighing my response to this.

I handled it well enough. I thanked the happy little couple for their visit, and pushed them outside the door that holds extreme horror. Then I turned to Zach and Kerwin: “What was that, exactly?”

Or the question should be like this: Who am I?