Chapter 16 - Crack, Crack

I didn’t stop to think how he recognized me as a vampire. I threw myself aside when he sprang and bared my own fangs in defiance. Our speed and power was merely the same, and he had had much more experience than I. Everyone else was at the party, and the staffs were too busy to notice us.

In no more than a few minutes, he had me pinned onto the ground. He did think that I had no way to escape, so I noticed he reduced the amount of pressure. He wouldn’t want to draw too much attention to this fight, and I could hear the floor screaming because of the pressure. I seized this chance and rolled him over, aiming a kick towards his knee and forced myself upon him.

As a professional, he reacted instinctively, like me. We rolled around the corridor; neither of us was able to claim the victory for long. Even between vampires, there were differences in power. The elder ones usually were stronger, and males were stronger than females their own age. It was a little strange that none of the others noticed all the snarling and crashing noises. I had to admit there was no one to help me.

Beno proved that he was stronger. I only just turned into a real vampire. Finally, he had his hand across my throat, and his other hand and legs preventing me from escaping. He wore a triumphant smile, and bended over.

I searched for anything I had to escape. Then my hand closed on the little silver cross that hung beside my waist. I grasped at it as hard as I could. This might be the only chance.

Beno was too careless right now that he didn’t notice anything. However he did smell the scent of silver, and his nose wrinkled. I bit my lip from screaming out in protest because of the burning pain in my hand. When his fangs were only a centimeter from my skin, I sent the cross into his heart with all my might with a turn of my wrist.

His pressure was gone, and I pushed him into the wall beside me. His hand closed around the cross, too, and his eyes were widened in shock. It was like slow motion. He slowly grabbed the cross, and his scream echoed through the hall as I buried the cross even deeper into his heart, and his blood spilled all over my dress.

I should have felt frightened, but I only felt relief. It was lucky that I wore this red dress; it would be hard for others to see the blood stains for now. I pulled the cross out, and the burning sensation seemed to increase because the blood brought out my thirst. I ran into the bathroom, and carefully washed the blood off the cross and my bare skin.

I left Beno’s body where it was. I searched his body, and found a golden watch. I took it, pretending that a burglar did this crime. As for the watch, it was not safe to keep it, so it was thrown into the centre of a pond nearby.

After all of this, I returned to my room, changed my outfit, and bathed myself thoroughly. If I had a heartbeat, it must be inhumanly quick right now. My first murder, though it was pure self-defiance, right? I would have died if I had not killed Beno.

A headache took over a little bit later. I had had these before Zach died, but this was the first time after my embrace. Well, it couldn’t have counted as an embrace, but whatever. I changed into my pajamas, and lay in the huge soft bed, and closed my eyes, waiting for the pain to stop.

It increased, however. Between the brief breaks of it, I saw something that seemed like memories, however blurred.

Before me stood Kerwin, he was talking quickly, a look of hate and fury was on his face, and I heard myself cry out some words, but I couldn’t make out what they were. Behind Kerwin was Tiffany, and behind her, was a huge army of vampires. There were voices, shouts of pleads, and cries of pain.

From the edges of this scene, something like a protective wall was closing in. I thought I looked up in the memory, and saw Kerwin pointing a weapon not unlike a sword at my heart. The blade shone glittering light like silver in the light of the setting sun. My sight was even more blurred, and I felt a grab from behind.

It was Zach, he was shouting with all his might, it seemed. I made out his words this time: “Go, just go, Adele! It would be too late!”

My body seemed to be dragged backward quickly. Kerwin’s sword didn’t reach me, but it made a huge crack in the wall that was nearly completed between us. I heard myself scream: “I have to fix that right now! Don’t push me! How could you?”

And then I opened my eyes, the sharp jab of pain already gone.

Beno’s body was found right after the party ended. He asked one of the girls to his room before he left, and she found his body, lying limp on the ground. There were signs of a big fight. Ivy came running into my room, gasping for breath. She described the scene to me in details.

“The floor suffered a few cracks, and the wall was dented. It must be a very strong man that left these marks in a struggle. His watch was gone; I think it was a plain burglary.” Ivy left a little later, announcing that the event might be ended immediately after this.

I felt a little relieved. I always couldn’t understand before this why vampires could kill without blinking. Now I felt as if this blood-thirstiness also existed inside my veins. I calmly packed my luggage, and left a note, telling Ivy I was too frightened to stay here after this, and I booked the first plane ticket back.

A policeman paid me a visit at the airport, a little suspicious at first. His suspicion no longer existed when he saw that I was a small girl not even of age. He even comforted me for a bit, and then left.

As the plane soared through the thick clouds, I curled up under the blanket once more. If it was months before, I would expect myself throwing myself at Zach at the airport, and telling him everything about this, asking nervously for his advice.

Instead, I found nobody at the airport waiting for me. I didn’t tell anyone about my sudden return. Walking through the familiar streets, I looked up at the sun. To my horror, there was something else than the usually clear sky.

There was a slash made by some kind of weapon, marking the sky from the horizon. Nobody else seemed to notice anything, but I smelt something unusual. There was the scent of blood, faintly so, lurking out from behind the crack. Slowly, it crept out, reddened the sky and covered every inch of the world I was in.

Then I knew no more.  

Likey? :D