Chapter 4 - Night and Darkness

“No match.” Steve stared at the body lying on the ground, with a crooked smile on his face. The body of the young vampire lay there, lifeless. The hole made by the dagger was becoming bigger, like it was eating the body.

Stefan nodded in encouragement. The little girl looked bored. Those three were the top of a family of vampire hunters. Steve, Stefan and Lydia. Three geniuses, all of them with talents of their own, and powerful weapons which could kill vampires easily like how they kill humans.

“I guess it is my turn to clean up.”Stefan pulled out a box of matches, then he blinked in surprise.

“What the heck?” Steve exclaimed after seeing what his brother saw. Even Lydia looked surprised.

The corpse, or so they thought, started to twist, the damage made by the weapon healing at an incredible speed. A gust of ashes covered the body of the vampire, and revealed its face after a few seconds.

Lydia and the two other hunters gasped in shock. Their eyes seemed ready to pop out of their sockets. 

The creature on the ground was clearly not human, but none of them would count her as a vampire. At first, none of them had thought the vampire beautiful. After this change, they were frozen to the ground.

The creature relaxed its body and got to its feet. Its eyes were still closed. The vampire, or whatever the thing was, shook out her dark hair. Her face, which was plain even in humans before, seemed like a work of god now. Or the work of the devil. 

Nothing could be said to describe this beauty. This was something that shouldn’t exist in this world. Too beautiful, too perfect. Moonlight glittered over her pale skin.

The mysterious creature sighed in relief, like she was finally free. The three hunters felt afraid for the first time they took this life style. Although the creature was calm, and no power seemed to exist behind her delicate figure, they knew they were in grave danger.

Steve and Stefan took out their weapons at once, hiding little Lydia behind them. Lydia too, her body tense, facing towards the greatest adversary they had met.

“Lydia, it would be a tough fight. We have to protect the others.” Stefan’s voice sank.

A little dent formed between Lydia’s eyebrows. Suddenly, a bubble invisible to humans was formed around the four of them. Nothing could get out, nothing could get in, either. Others outside wouldn’t be able to see anything, or hear anything.

The creature smiled a goddess’s smile, and opened her crimson eyes.

ADELE

I had never thought it possible for a human to have the power to compete with vampires, but the truth proved that I was wrong, completely wrong. Zach often said that mistakes were not allowed in such a dangerous world, and it could be, as in my situation, deadly.

I was drowned in the darkness, feeling so weak, being dragged down by some invisible weight. Trying to open my eyes, but seeing nothing except the darkness. Then the memories of the earlier attack came back to me. Terrified, I urged myself to gain the control of my body.

Then there was a crack.

At first, it was small, however, it became bigger and bigger, traveling from my head to my toe. Although the sound of it was almost as terrifying as the memory and the darkness, it felt kind of nice. Like something that was always inside me finally coming out, not being sealed inside against my will.

After the invisible chain around me broke completely, I opened my eyes. The world was so defined, and for once in my short memory, I felt right.

Watching the three hunters staring at me in horror, I pulled up the edge of my lips into half a smile.

My thoughts were a little smug now. I could feel exactly what I could do. My power was no longer sealed inside me. I was myself, and much more powerful than the hunters put together. They were no hunters before me. They were my targets, weak as young rabbits.

I leaped at them, not even bothering to hide the attempt.

Before I reached the girl’s throat, I heard sound, sound of other vampires, werewolves and the cry of Zach, which was full of despair and fury.

Here's another chapter :)  Please show us (cousin and I) something (vote, comment, bolt of lightning shot from Olympus...) so we can know that you exist (and thank you for reading this story)!