Chapter 5 - Deal's Off

The sunlight shone through the curtains, which pierced my skin a little. I opened my eyes. I tried to get up, but found my body unnaturally tired. Every part of my body ached.

Zach was watching me with concerned eyes in a small corner. And there was something else, was that hope? Like something he was waiting for had finally came true. I searched through my memories.

Last night was very dim. I could remember everything before the attack from the hunters. And I remembered the throbbing pain. Kerwin and Tiffany and Amy and Peter. I recalled everything perfectly.

But what happened after that? What happened after the attack? It was like my memory was badly cut by a careless director. Everything was blurred, and it happened too fast. Before I could run the memory back again, there was a “beep” in my mind, and everything went blank.

“What are you doing? I need to know what was going on!” I frowned and turned to Zach.

Zach shrugged: “It isn’t something you want to see.”

Alright. It was so convenient to have such a talent. Too bad I could do nothing about it. So I changed the subject: “Who were those people last night? The hunters?”

Zach stiffened: “They won’t do anything to you any longer, if they are sensible enough.”

I clenched my fist. I hate to be confused, and I hadn’t been so confused like this for a long time. “Why, what was going on? I thought I was nearly killed. Who saved me?”

“Saved you?” Zach eyed me, expression full of doubt, “Didn’t you remember meeting the hunters?”

Oh great, things were just getting more and more complicated, exactly what I needed.

“I just remember some of the incident, and if you don’t mind, I’ll go on searching in my head.”

Dingdong. That was the door bell. Ok, something was wrong. I could smell the scent of Lucy right outside the door. It was not only her, but also two other members of the pack. I knew her, she wouldn’t come to our house unless something really bad had happened, and these things usually included me and my brother.

I remembered the first time was when Zach still hunted in this area. We nearly got into a fight, until we drew the conclusion that one of us (that would be me) only drinks animal blood and the other could hunt outside the district without killing or changing anybody.

There was another visit, when another vampire went out of control in this area, and they asked for our help to destroy him.

This was the third.

Zach pushed me back into the sofa, and went to the door. The four of them came to me a second later. From the look on Lucy’s face, I guessed that one of us must be in great trouble. Was it Zach or me? It didn’t matter anyway, because we two were sort of a package deal.

And I was pretty experienced in dealing with problems that was caused by Zach. Months of practice does that to you.

So I kept confident.

However, this time Lucy directed her words at me: “I never thought that I had to say this to you, Adele. I thought you were always the mature one, and who kept to the deal we made. I was really disappointed in you last night. I would have to tell you the deal was off. However, you didn’t anything further under the outside force, so the destruction didn’t cause any big problems. You two still have two days to get out of this village. I want to see you two move out of here as soon as possible. We are enemies from now on.”

I was petrified: “What did I do?”

Zach interrupted: “Hey there, pup. You didn’t count in the fact she was half dead when she attacked the hunters, did you? Yeah right, because the beautiful human beings could do nothing wrong.” He snorted: “What’s the point in covering up? Telling the hunters two vampires are hanging around this area, and they are harmless. I guess you are trying to be nice, if not pressing on the fact the female is only a few months old!”

Lucy said nothing, but Autumn, replied in a sweet voice. She was second in command in the pack, a small girl with blonde hair and deep green eyes.

“We know we had a deal with you, but our main strategy is to keep the humans here safe. If your existence wasn’t being told to the hunters, the pack will be in danger probably because of your faults. And you don’t think they will let you live if they didn’t know about you, right, blood-sucker?”

Brue, the other girl that came in with them, bared her teeth in agreement. She was big and bad-tempered, sort of. When she looked at me, it was like she would really enjoy ripping me into pieces.

Zach saw her expression and launched himself between us. The reaction made Brue furious, and she snarled to him. I bounced off the bed, instinctively sank into a low crouch. The three wolf-girl stood closer to each other, facing us, ready to fight us off. When I realized what I was doing, I reached for the cross lying on the cabinet. The burning ache made me a little calmer.

I wanted to laugh right now, because it just seemed so alike, the first day we were here. The expressions on their faces were just the same. Doubt, coldness, and fear. A part of my mind wondered where the fear came from. I was just a weak little vampire now that they knew me.

I straitened and told them: “I’m so sorry we couldn’t stick to the deal. Maybe you don’t know that I remember nothing that I assume could have broke the deal. I have stuck to the vegetarian diet, and the hunters nearly killed me, what do you want me to do?”

“Like you would bother to ask.” Brue waved her fist at me. She really seemed like a boy more than a girl.

Lucy waved her back. “Now that I think of it, we should have warned you there were hunters in the village that night. Ok, you have got another chance. But stay clear of the dangerous waters. We won’t offer another chance like this.”

Then the three of them went away.

Hope you liked it :) (prompt update, right?)