Chapt. 3

After introducing himself briefly, Kerwin said pleasantly: “I didn’t expect to see such pleasant girls here. And I assume that neither of you have partners?”

I opened my mouth to say no, to lie because of my instinct. However, Amy let the truth slip: “Em, not really.”

“Well, Peter, I guess that you have lost nothing getting me from the airport. Why don’t you take Amy? Not having partners will be such a waste for an evening like this!”

Peter blushed the same moment Amy did. He was always a shy boy. From the way Amy peeked him under her eye lashes, I could see the girl had a huge crush on him. However, to protect her, I have to do something to make her feel bad, like losing her a perfect date.

“Actually, we kind of have plans.”My voice trailed off when Amy nearly stepped my foot off. Ok, maybe she just got a bruise on her feet, but you know what I mean.

“Of course, that would be lovely.” Silly little girl in love. “And, oh, maybe Kerwin, you could go with Adele, since neither of you have dates!”

I guess she was trying to be nice, but in a wrong way. Or in a right way, if I consider it with human brains. Admit it, Kerwin was abnormally handsome, and pretty pleasant. If you are not counting that he could smash your body in a fraction of a second.

Kerwin seemed a little uncomfortable, and he said in an apologizing tune: “I would have been glad to dance with you, Adele, but my sister is here. It is probably the last dance with her for a long time in the future. Sorry.”

I relaxed, but instead of looking mysteriously relieved, I changed my expression to the I’m-sorry-too tune. Then I realized it was not something to feel relieved about. His sister. Vampires’ sister. It was either the same relationship between me and Zach, or an innocent victim. Either of these ideas was not good.

My expression was not an imitation now.

“Kerwin!” A sugary voice called. I turned a little too quickly, and saw a breath-takingly beautiful woman. She was in her twenties, wearing a stunning purple gown. I had always thought that Zach was probably beautiful even in vampires, but I had to say, there was no competition between him and these two.

She looked like an angel, though not as beautiful as Kerwin.

When she saw me, however, her expression changed completely. It was a friendly and warm smile, but when she laid her eyes on me, her face twisted in horror. In the same minute, it turned into a little smug grin.

Kerwin smiled and went to hug the girl. Pushing her forward, he introduced his sister: “This is my sister, Tiffany.”

Tiffany wore an adoring smile, then embraced Peter and Amy. When she reached for me, I took a step back in defiance, and fought back a hiss. Her eyes were a strange purple, like wearing blue contacts over fierce, blood-red eyes. And I swore her eyes shone with thirst when she touched the two of my human friends.

Amy noticed nothing, except that I tried to avoid Tiffany’s hug. She shot me a confused look.

“I just remembered that I have to get my brother. I think he got lost. So, see you later, guys.” I fled, using a silly excuse.

I didn’t know why, but my instinct screamed at me to stay and lung at the throat of the unwelcomed new comers. It was a powerful desire to protect this land. To protect my land. I was thrilled for a second because I had never thought of this land as mine. My wish was to live simply like a human in this little village with Zach, as peacefully as I could.

I didn’t remember to hide my strength when I ran. A second later, I was already out side of the hall. Panting, I glanced around me to make sure it was safe. With the experiences of living in human world for half a year, I had learned to reject most of my instincts as soon as I could.

Ok, all clear. I sniffed. The first thing I needed to do was to find Zach. I found his scent outside the school gate, and quickly ran there. Hopefully, no human eyes caught such fast movements.

Or so I thought.

Before I reached the gate, two men blocked my way, with a little girl behind them. They wore cloaks. There was no way to go through them, since the passage was rather narrow. I had to slow to a walk. Right then, the people started to talk among themselves. I didn’t pay much attention, because from their smell, I knew clearly they were only human.

I didn’t pay attention, but that didn’t mean I didn’t hear things.

The big blonde man, wearing a grey cloak, spoke to the other one, who had dark hair: “Here is one. She seems months old. The wolves said that there was nothing to worry about, like we would believe them!”

Before the one who had dark hair could answer, the little girl demanded harshly: “Focus, Steve. Our duty is to protect all the humans in this area. There aren’t other ones around to help her. What are you waiting for?”

Steve sighed heavily: “You’ve got little patience.”

By this time, I had stopped in front of them. The girl waved her hand in a killing gesture, but stopped half way through. “What’s wrong, Stefan?” She asked. The dark haired man answered in a deep voice: “No talent.”

“Which doesn’t matter.” Steve shrugged. My body tensed. I thought that I knew what was happening. Vampire hunters, that was who they were. Zach had told me about them in a respective tune, but I thought that was only a legend.

Steve took out a dagger, before I could do anything, he was already in front of me. The blade of the dagger glittered in the light of those little lights on the gate. My hand acted with my top speed to grab the dagger and tore it out of the hunter’s hand, but the dagger was already driven through my heart.

I blinked once, and everything went black.

Ah... my cousin is updating more often than me. I feel ashamed. Hope you like it! We'd both appreciate it if you commented and/or rated.