Chapter 24: Graduation

"Welcome to the Class of 2014's graduation class! I'm just gonna let the valedictiorian student, Maddison Stewart share her speech with the class," our princiciple says as he walks off the stage. It was now a week later and graduation. I can't believe I finally made it even with all the days I missed and moving.

"I am going to make the brief because, according to a quote by Winston Churchill, 'A good speech should be like a woman’s skirt: long enough to cover the subject and short enough to keep interest.'" Maddison begins speaking. "On this day when we are looking forward to the exciting lives unfolding before us, I invite you, my fellow classmates, to stop and look back to our first day of freshman year. We were the same but different: shorter, immature, and possibly unsure of ourselves." She continues her long speech. 

I look around at all the students. Most of them I never even met only because I have only been at this school for a few months. It feels like eternity of Maddison's speech until she finally finishes with, "That is why I encourage the graduates of the class of 2014 to get it right the first time, and don’t let opportunities pass you by. Befriend the stranger, take the job offer across the country, choose the major that will make you happy, and don’t hold back."

Our principal walks back up to the stage as Maddison takes her seat. The principal continues to talk until he finally starts calling our names. I was one of the first few names he calls because of my last name. He continues to call everyone's names until he reaches the last student. "Congratulations to the Class of 2014!" the principle exclaims. And at that we all throw our caps into the air. The graduation ceremony ends shortly after that. I immediatly walk over to Josie. 

"Oh my god! It took forever to get to me!" she exclaims as soon as I walk up to her.

"It wasn't that long. Your last name starts with a K atleast it didn't start with a N," I tell her.

"Well the spelling would just look weird without the K! I mean I have a pretty cool last name! Honestly I think my last name is way better than yours!"

I just roll my eyes. "Well if I ever marry Fang then it would be Knight instead of Cross," I say laughing.

"Psh whatever. Anyways who came to see your graduation?" She asks me. 

"Just my mom, Dave, his wife, and his kids. I'm gonna have more family coming for my graduation party tomorrow. That actually reminds me, do you wanna come over tomorrow for the party. I want atleast one friend to come and your my only friend."

"Sure thing! I would love too. Do you think I can bring a friend? She's part of the gang and I think it would be good to meet one of them now. She's pretty cool," Josie says.

"Oh yeah sure that's fine," I tell her.

"Okay well I'm gonna go and let you go see your family. I'll see you tomorrow," she says while wrapping her arms around me.

"See you tomorrow," I tell her as I begin walking to find my mom. It takes me about five minutes to find her in this crowd.

"Oh Skylar. I'm so proud of you for graduating!" My mom exclaims while giving me a big hug.

"Skylar, you did a good job," Dave says giving me a pat on the back. I don't feel any different than I did yesterday. I feel the same I did from months ago. Probably because I ran away and never went to school. I'm honestly surprised they let me graduate but I did have all my credits.

"Come on lets go. We need to get some rest for your party tomorrow. Most of the family are just now arriving and are staying at hotels. Oh and by the way we're having your party at Central Park because our apartment wouldn't hold everyone," my mom tells me as we walk to the car.

On our way home I just look out of the window. Just a few more days until I leave Washington. A few more days to go.

-

I slowly awaken to the sound of someone knocking on my bedroom door. "Wakey wakey!" I hear someone say. I look in the direction of the door and see Josie with some girl with short bright red hair next to her. "Hello sleepy head!" Josie exclaims. "This is Kandi. She's part of Fang's gang."

"Oh hi Kandi," I say as I sit up from my bed. "Why are you here so early?"

"I thought maybe we could just hang out and talk. Plus you wanted to know about mine, Zach's, and Fang's past didn't you?" she asks me.

"Oh yeah I did." 

"Okay," she says as she sits next to me. "My parents used to be those typical love birds in high school. They actually had Fang when they were eighteen and soon married after his birth. Then they had Zach then me. We were all three years apart. Well when I turned five, they were always constantly fighting. That went on for several years. Then our dad started beating our mom. Once I turned nine years old...he... he killed her. Right in front of us."

"Oh my god!" I say horrified.

"Our dad is still out there somewhere but we don't know where. Anyways after he killed our mom he ran off. Fang and Zach took me to a foster home so I would have a better home and thats when they started their gang. I still kept in contact. And well that's about it. Fang doesn't really like talking about this. Especially when he knows our dad is still out there and could come around any time. Our dad isn't really a nice guy."

"Do you think your dad would come back?" I ask her.

"Honestly yes. Fang told me that he actually came back a few years ago and said he'd be back one day. I don't know why he hasn't told you this. I just hope he doesn't come back but he usually keeps his words."

"Oh my god. This is really terrible!" I exclaim.

"Yeah, this is one reason Fang wants to leave this state. I mean it was your idea but he jumped at that idea because if we leave there's a slimmer chance of him finding us. Oh that reminds me, we should start packing your stuff now because we're leaving tomorrow." I nod my head and we start packing my stuff. After we were done , we just talked until it was time to go to Central Park for my party.

When we arrived to the park, alot of my relatives were already there. The first person to walk up to me was my aunt Susan. Susan is my dad's older sister. She's always cheerful and lives life to the fullest. "Oh Skylar!" she exclaims wrapping her arms around me. "I'm so proud of you! You've grown to be a wonderful adult. It's so good to see you."

"It's good to see you too Aunt Susan," I say. "Where's Uncle Peter? And Kyle and Jessica?" 

"Peter's with the adults and Kyle and Jessica went sightseeing. They said they'd come back to congratulate you. They've never been to anywhere but Utah," she says laughing. "Well come on, you need to come say hi to everyone." I walk with her to where all my relatives were. They all just swarmed me and congratulated me.

The party lasted for about three hours. Once everyone was gone I went home with Josie and Kandi and we just sat in my room and talked. Tomorrow is the day I finally get to leave. And maybe have a normal life. Or atleast as normal as it can get.