When Fate Calls

Just as the loud sound of an ambulance truck passed by her window, Delilah's eyes fluttered open

Just as the loud sound of an ambulance truck passed by her window, Delilah's eyes fluttered open. She huffed slightly before her fingers touched her tingling lips in utter confusion.

She glanced around the room to see that Alyssa wasn't in bed- before she realized she was still spinning the same record that Michael gave her, The Jacksons All I Do Is Think Of You. It was then and there when she realized that Michael meeting her that night was nothing but a taunting dream.

She cut the record off immediately and sat in silence for a minute, trying to wrap her mind around how a dream could seem so real.

Delilah shook her head as she massaged her temples. She didn't understand why a boy she barely knew had such a big impact on her heart and mind. She blamed herself for getting so quickly attached, now she had to force herself to get over the bittersweet memory of him and his unforgettable smile.

" Aye, What you tryna get into today? Everybody else dipped." Alyssa entered their room.

Delilah rolled her eyes." Look I ain't really checkin' to get into nothing today."

" What? "Alyssa snapped her head around." Honey now you know I barely get a day off. Yo, What's up with you? What's with the attitude? " she smiled a bit as Delilah shrugged.

" Honey I know you too well, talk to me." Alyssa eyed her and for a moment Delilah hesitated to speak. She hated getting mushy in front of people, and lately she felt as if that's all she's been doing, she was tired of crying.

Her head tilted back before she adverted her eyes to the floor and sighed. " I feel like such a failure. Nothing is going the way I expected like... when I saw Bobby my expectations flew through the roof." She gently punched her hand. " And by now I was supposed to be living my dream...and this family was supposed to be happy somewhere far away from the Valley. " she gritted as she began to think.

Over the years of her living here she had grown a love–hate relationship with this place, liking her life but not loving it. However now, Delilah was starting to completely resent this place the more she had to look at it each day. She was sick and tired of living like this, in fear of walking alone in her own neighborhood or in fear of being herself in her own home. Yes, Delilah was grateful for all the blessings she had in life, but she knew that she had the opportunity to make life for her and her family better.

" Aye. " Alyssa pointed as she paused from putting on her earrings. " This ain't ova... Remember what momma always used to say to us every time we hit a bump in the road back in Dakota? Without a test—"