The Joneses' Boy

Michael sauntered up his basement steps behind his four loud brothers. They had just been released for a lunch break, after what seemed like centuries of practicing.

His muscles didn't get a chance to heal since Saturday morning. After the meeting at LLR, their father made them get right to it–watching their every move and fussing to the top of his lungs every time Randy would mess up.

Practice was just the worst under Joseph's supervision, there was no time to breathe around him just... do. Michael learned a while ago that–that was the only way to reduce the consequences.

However, Michael understood Randy. He was new to the group so of course, it was a bit too much for him in the beginning stages. He wouldn't just wake up one morning and magically memorize their entire routine.

Michael almost groaned by the time he reached the top of the steps. The more he walked the more the pain in his lower back prospered.

" Aye, You okay Mike?" Marlon turned around causing the rest of them to turn around like a domino effect.

Michael nodded slightly. " Yeah I'm good... I'm good." He waved them off as they walked down the hallway, displayed with all the framed family memories and achievements.

Several Jackson 5 golden records were mounted on the wall beside the shelve with the two NAACP awards they won back in their prime.

To Michael, those achievements were a constant reminder of where he yearned to be, above and beyond each and every one of those awards.

" There my babies are..." Their mother smiled as she paused from cleaning the kitchen counters. She hugged them all, concern overpowering her happiness as she eyed Michael's worn state. " Michael, baby did you get any sleep last night?"

" None of us did." Jackie shook his head and immediately Katherine's face hardened, especially at the sight of Joseph turning the corner.

" One hour boys and I mean it or else–"

" Or else what Joseph?" Katherine stood quickly–as quick as her legs would allow her.
" They've had enough, you're gonna work them to death."

" They need it, they need to be prepared–"

" No, What they need is rest!" She boomed, Her voice overpowering his.

He glared at her with a hard expression, irritation evident in him for he could rarely find it in him to say no to her. " Their show is Saturday Katie. The show that determines their future! "

" But what did I say?" She blurted low and firm. Michael couldn't stand to watch them argue no matter if it was the slightest. Yet his brothers seemed to be soaking it up, not because of the fact that they were arguing, but because they loved when their mother didn't back down from his strict ways. Michael appreciated it too, he just didn't like seeing his mother upset that's all.

" Fine... Fine." He repeated harshly, eyeing the boys before taking a seat in his recliner seat.

Katherine's face softened immediately as she turned back to them. " Y'all are free to go... just don't come back too late. Y'all know how I feel about that."