Flashlight

Tristin pov*

Hilo, Hawaii

Jack, Mac, Chin, Kono and I run on to the beach, and see the sniper fire the bullet at us. We all duck for cover...

36 hours earlier...

We are on a plane from our last mission. We are all super tired. I lay sleeping on Mac while, the others sit in chairs with blankets.

"Vegas?" Jack asked.

"No." Mac mumbled.

"Disneyland?"

"What?"

"Karaoke?"

"Absolutely not."

"Laser tag?"

"No."

"Bowling? Wine tasting? Medieval times, something...?"

"Jack."

"What about making out with Trist?" I open my one eye and give him a tired look.

"I'm not completely opposed to that." I smack him and snuggle back to get comfortable, Mac chuckled tiredly. "Jack. We just stopped a brutal dictator from deploying a chemical weapon. Can't this wait till we get back?"

"No. We can't wait. I'm telling you the same thing I told my sister last year. Either you're celebrating your birthday with Jack or you're agreeing to any and all plans for your birthday being done by Jack."

"You said the same thing to me...last year." Mac mumbled wrapping his arms more securely around me. The vibrating from him talking was just putting me to sleep.

"Your choice."

"And I said the same thing."

"This year is going to be different." Jack concluded.

"Then I had to explain."

"I can feel it."

"Einsteins definition of insanity to you."

"Okay A: If you just pick one, Jack might shut up." Riley jumped in. I open my eyes, but still laid on Mac. "And, B: Why not? Birthday's are awesome. Cake, presents. What's not to love?"

"Unwanted emergency room visits." I mumble and Mac rubbed my back.

"Yea, what's the matter with you two?" Jack look at us.

"Don't waste your time, Riley. Been trying to Mac or Tristin to celebrate a birthday since fifth grade. and since I met Tristin." I roll my eyes at Bozer, burying my head in Mac's chest. "No cakes, no pinatas, not even one tail pinned on one donkey."

Oh, come on, Mac, Trist." Jack said. "Every donkey needs a tail."

"Okay, everyone." Mac sits up making me groan, I shift with my legs over his lap and my head on his right shoulder, with his arms still around me. "Listen up. You know I love a good party, but birthdays make no sense." I snap and point at him saying I agree. "We are ageing every second of every minute of every day. And for some reason we pick one arbitrary day to celebrate being one year older all because a pope made a calendar in the 16th century? If we were on Mars, I would be 14 years old, and my next birthday wouldn't be for another..."

"231 days." I finish and kiss his cheek. He smiles.

"Mar? You're using Mars as an argument against birthdays?" Jack questions. "Stop playing footsie with me." He tells Bozer.

"All I'm saying is birthday's are irrelevant." Mac concluded I nodded.

"No, birthdays are not irrelevant." Jack told us. "Dude, their precious. Everyday on this earth is, especially in this line of work. They're like signs in those factories that say it's been X amount of days since the last fatal accident. So, we're celebrating. I don't care what planet it's on. What about monster trucks? You like monster trucks, huh?" Then the radio phone rings.