the novel-like beginning

[no longer updating the full novel version, the regular chapters will be published again]

°°°

   It was a casual day in Dexter, Maine. The wind was brisk and the sun was nowhere to be seen, clouds instead, ruled the sky as they dropped the very many unique flakes of snow to cover yet another inch of the town. The trees were bare, blowing with the current of the wind, and the streets were thankfully not covered in snow just yet, but Laura had no doubt it would overnight. Living in a decently small town had its perks, especially in the winter, when if roads were covered in snow, it took slightly longer than it should to clear them, and Dexter's main high school was more lenient on how many times they closed the school for snow days. It did snow almost every day in winter.

    Laura was on her way to school, walking along the lightly dusted pathways and leaving faded footprints behind. She didn't exactly enjoy the cold weather, but she agreed with it feeling refreshing and like a slate washed clean, but only accepted it because Christmas was just around the corner. Typically in this type of weather, Laura would rather stay inside with her blanket and hot chocolate, and her favorite cartoon on the television, but that wasn't possible on a Thursday. It was that thought happening on the weekend that got her through every wintery week, here in Dexter, Maine. Living only a few blocks away from the school, Laura didn't bother waiting for the bus that could have picked her up, or bothering her mother to give her a ride either. She decided to enjoy the weather every morning and get some light exercise instead, even though she didn't, in fact, enjoy neither the weather or the exercise she was getting.

    When she finally arrived at the school, she sighed, her warm breath coming out as little cloud of its own. She was all bundled up in her wool scarf and cream colored winter coat she hated wearing. Entering the school she went to her locker first, to trash her layers of coverage to protect her from the cold. Underneath she wore a white blouse with red little flowers sprouting all over it, her navy blue jeans that hugged tightly to her legs and her cute little white Vans. Getting her coat off and stuffing it into the bottom section of her locker with her scarf, she then reached for the needed books and folders for her first couple classes before lunch. She swung her now full book bag over her shoulder and slammed her locker. The halls were still partially empty, due to school not technically starting for another fifteen minutes, but that didn't bother Laura, she liked the extra time to make finishing touches to her last night's homework.

    "La La! My girl!" Laura heard from over her shoulder as she was now on the way to her first period class. She turned to see her best friend Angela slightly jogging to catch up with her, waving her small hand in the air rather dramatically. Laura wasn't as pretty as Angela, at least that's what she thought. While Laura has long brown hair, hazel colored eyes, and was decently tall, Angela was the complete opposite. Angela was the short friend, the bright blonde haired and unusually bright green eyed friend. She had the right accessories that made her more attractive, to boys their age, than Laura. But her personality was a little out there.

    Finally catching up to Laura, Angela gave her a short hug and walked beside her on the way to Laura's classroom.

    "You drived I'm assuming?" Laura asked, thinking she got here a bit earlier than usual.

    "Yep! I told my dad I wanted to leave early this morning so I didn't have to get caught up with the buses and cars." Angela laughed. "You know how I get under pressure. I probably won't ever get my licence at this rate."

    Laura shook her head at her and smiled. "Don't say things like that, Angie. You know you'll pass. You've been practicing almost everyday straight for the past five months."

    Angela shrugged and nodded at the same time. "You could be right. Practically a pro now, am I right?" She said, nudging Laura's arm playfully before they turned to enter the classroom. They laughed at one another and made their way to the back of the classroom where they both sat down.

    "So." Angela started, eyeing Laura as she unpacked her things for this class. "Did you ask him out yet?"

    Laura slightly paused, but then continued, blushing slightly. "Asked who out yet?"

    Angela smirked and rolled her eyes, scolding. "Don't play coy, Laur. You know who I mean..." And as if there were other people in the room, which there weren't, Angela leaned in to whisper. "Tyler...?"

    Turning sharply to glare at Angela, Laura huffed. "No, Angela, I haven't. It's none of your business either."

    Angela waved that away and smiled again. "Yes it is. You're my best friend. Everything that's your business is my business."

    Shaking her head, Laura opened her folder to get out her needed worksheets for the day. She was used to Angela invading in on her personal business, but when she teased and constantly reminded her about her crush, it got a bit overbearing. Plus, Tyler was just someone she kind of liked, not loved, so it wasn't that important. She'd be over Tyler by graduation, never having to see him after that.

    "Oh, come on! I get nothing?" Angela whined.

    "Nope."

    Angela sighed in defeat and propped her head on the table with the support of her arm, staring at the front of the classroom. Laura was writing some things down to finish up her homework when Angela finally spoke again.

    "Did you get paired up yet for that Psych project?"

    Laura shook her head, continuing to write. "Nah, Mrs. Nelson ran out of time yesterday to even tell us about it, so she said we'd do it today."

    Angela nodded and moved to stand just as the first bell rang. "Let me know who you get partnered with at lunch." She said, pushing in her chair and walking slowly to the door.

    "Sure will. See ya' then."

    Angela stuck her hand up and made a small gesture to wave goodbye. "Peace out, chica!"