July 4th, 2017

"Sparklers!!" Phil cheered, running over to mom. It was the fourth and my family was celebrating in our backyard. My dad away on another business trip and Tyler being allowed to spend the holiday with me.

I watched my mom scold Phil as he played with the lighter. We had a small fire going and we planned to watch the neighbors fireworks like we would every year.

"Boo."

I jumped, turning around to see Tyler with a cheeky grin on his face, s'mores materials in his arms from his trip to the kitchen.

"Don't sneak up on me, Mr." I scolded, pointing to him teasingly.

He shrugged and smiled still, walking past me. "I can do what I want." He said nonchalant. I laughed a bit and followed him, seeing Phil staring at a sparkler that was lit in his hand.

"I wonder what would happen if I put it in my mouth.." He mumbled.

I shrugged and smirked. "I don't know, Phil, why don't you try it?"

"Laura, don't give your brother any ideas. I have no money for a hospital bill." My mom said, glaring at me.

"Mom, nothing is going to happen. It's a sparkler." I said, seeing Phil look at me with a raised eyebrow. My mom looked to Tyler and I saw him stiffen.

"Uh.. maybe you should listen to your mom, Laur." Tyler said quietly, rubbing the back of his neck and becoming red.

My mom smiled. "What a good idea. Laura, listen to your boyfriend. He's got some good advice."

I rolled my eyes and squeezed Tyler's hand. We both took a seat and started the s'mores, Phil running around while waving the sparkler around. I ended up burning my marshmallow, but Tyler was nice enough to eat mine while I tried another.

"Mom, can I run around with the lighter?!" Phil yelled from the other side of the yard. My mom looked up to him with a weird look on her face.

"Are you for real, Phil? I knew you were dumb, but not that dumb." I said, laughing a bit while inspecting my marshmallow.

"Laura, be nice to your brother." My mom scolded again.

My jaw dropped as Tyler chuckled beside me, munching on his s'more. "Mom, your son, whose older than me, just asked you if he could run around with the lighter. And you're telling me to be nice after calling him dumb? I don't see the point in that."

"Why can't we all get along?" Tyler said, his mouth full.

I raised an eyebrow while looking him over. "Because the world doesn't work that way."

"Laura, you're just jelly!" Phil said, still on the other side of the yard.

I laughed. "Of what exactly?"

"My awesome hair." He said, suddenly behind me. I squealed and put my marshmallow too close to the fire, making it become a torch.

"Mom, look at what he made me do!" I whined, frowning while Tyler patted my shoulder, chuckling with Phil.

"You brought it on yourself." She said simply.

"But mom!"