chapter 22

Wednesday  came with a change. Oma didn't go for any lectures. But the best thing happened. Asa came back!
They talked about home and Oma told her how everything had been since she'd left.

"You know our matric is next Friday right?"

"Who doesn't know. Everyone is yamming about student week."

There was a knock on the door.
Asa got up to open it.

"You're Asa from sports science and your roommate is in French right? Well you are both invited to our general fresher's party at Holly hotel on Saturday at 8. Just come to that address."

Oma knew that voice.

"Nathi."

"Oma. Oh this is your room. You didn't come for classes today. I hope there's no problem."

"Nope. Not at all." She said.

"Well I'll be glad if you both showed up for the party. I'm the one throwing it." She said excitedly and left.

When the door was shut, Asa said.
"You know her?"

"Yeah. She's my course mate."

"How come you haven't spoken about her."

She'd told Asa about Asher and Obi although she hadn't told her what happened while she was gone.

"She's just like an off and on course mate. I've only seen her twice."

On Saturday, Femi came around and Oma introduced them. She couldn't go with them to the party because she wasn't a fresher. It wasn't like she even wanted to go. She said their parties were demonic.
"A club that's just behind a hotel so that when everyone is drunk they'll have no other choice but to lodge immediately. When people have finished drugging people's drinks they'll carry them there. Be careful oh." She'd said.

Neither Oma nor Asa had ever been to a party so they both didn't know what to wear. Oma settled on the shortest gown she had while Asa wore a shirt and sports trouser.

The address led them to a building that was blaring with flickering lights and loud music. It was a club, the extension of the hotel. Luckily Femi had told them where it was so they didn't have any trouble finding it. It was strange that she knew. Oma didn't know what exactly she'd expected a fresher's party to look like, but this wasn't it.

The interior of the club was fantastic. The flashing lights were almost blinding but she could still see how beautiful it was. The room was large but filled from top to bottom with people. There were massive chandeliers dangling from the ceiling with one large rotating disco ball at the middle that bathed the whole room with numerous colours of light. While the flickering lights were blinding, the music was deafening. There were a few people she recognized from her department but the rest just blended in. There were students from four different departments invited, more than three hundred students.

"There you are!"

Nathi screamed into her ear making her jump. She hadn't seen her coming. She was smiling. Her breath reeked of alcohol. Jeez. The party hadn't even begun.

"Come!" Without warning, Oma was being dragged toward the dance floor by Nathi. She turned to apologise to Asa but didn't see her anywhere.

"Leave that girl. She's a cockblock. She'll just ruin this party for you. She'll make boys think you're with another boy and they'll not come to you."
Nathi screamed over the music, dragging her farther and farther away from Asa. Oma just rolled her eyes and planned to find Asa as soon as Nathi left her.

Nathi left her immediately she heard someone call her name. Now she was in the middle of nowhere. She groaned and tried to find her way back to Asa. She didn't see her anywhere unfortunately. Now what was she supposed to do. Her eyes were twirling with the light and she knew if she didn't sit down soon, she'd faint.