chapter 8

Awkward.

It was awkward. Really awkward. But funny.

She stood there unmoving, unsure of what to do. She felt so uncomfortable.  It felt worse because Dan kept looking at her the whole time, as if expecting her to say something. She would have said something , if only she knew what fifty shades of grey was all about.

" What is wrong with the movie ? Is it that boring ? " She asked innocently.

His eyes widened in disbelief and then amusement. She was afraid he would start laughing. She hated her mother at that moment. If only she had a phone or TV, she wouldn't be that naive.

Surprisingly, he didn't.

" It's not a good movie. I thought I brought the Nigerian movie Fifty, but it turns out I brought something else." He said, looking at the CD, as if willing it to change to something else.

" Why do you have a TV in your room when you're not even allowed to watch it? " He asked, entering her room with her.

" I'm only allowed to watch mount Zion movies. And even that is limited. "

" Wow. Your life must be really boring. No offense babe, but good thing I came to your rescue. "

They both laughed. It felt weird whenever he called her babe. It just didn't fit his mouth. But Oma didn't tell him that.

" So, what's going to happen to the movie? " She asked when they got quiet.

" I guess we need to look for something else to do. This movie is really inappropriate. " He said, flipping the CD, as if wondering what to do with it.

" Or we could just watch it. Surely you've watched it before, so why can't I watch it? " She pouted.

The stubborn part of her wanted so much to know what this movie was  that he seemed so worked up over.

" Are you sure? I mean we could do something else. . . "

" Something like what? " She asked, and immediately, she regretted ever asking. A sly smile flashed his face, but disappeared almost immediately. It was still enough to make her flush.

" Uhm. . Ok. If you say so. Let's. . . let us watch the movie."

He went over to start the movie, she took off her coat, and made herself comfortable.

" I'll call to get pizza " She said, making to go out.

He snorted.
"Pizza? If it's not dominoes, it's rubbish. So don't bother. Don't worry, I bought popcorn on the way." He replied, without looking at her.

She stopped. " How can you come to my house with everything. What's the use of it being my house. " She pouted again, this time.

He smiled and spun around.
" Come on, you know I. . . . Why did you remove your clothes ! " His smile disappeared and was replaced with a look of horror as he looked her over.

She was on purple bum shorts and a crop singlet, with nothing underneath. A normal outfit for staying home.

" I. . I was feeling hot, so I took off the coat. And. . . And I wanted to be comfortable. "

Why was he being so weird? Oh... He'd only ever seen her in school uniforms, she realized.

He kept silent for a long time, his eyes lingering on her chest with his mouth slightly open. She felt so flustered, she closed her eyes in embarrassment.

She opened her eyes but he wasn't looking at her still. He said everything quietly, in no way accusatory, but it still seemed to her that he thought she was seducing him on purpose. She'd worn the coat because she'd left the house to get him, but none of it made sense at the moment.