chapter 29

Asa wasn't staying at their room that often anymore. In fact, Oma only saw her twice or less a week. When asked, Asa only waved it off and complained that Oma worried too much.

Tonight was one of those nights. After an uncomfortable dinner with Asher, she had to prepare for a night of intense reading with Obi. Oma sighed as she changed into light clothes and sorted out the books she needed for her night class. She was strangely excited about it. Sleeping all alone without Asa was a little scary. She missed Asa's grunts while she worked out each morning but she was slowly adapting to her absence. The most annoying part was that Asa never said where she was going. She knew she was practising for the year's hurdle tournament,but that didn't mean she couldn't sleep in her own room, did it?

She grabbed the rest of her things and left the room.

Let Asa sort herself...

Oma had never been out this late at night at school before. It was minutes after ten and surprisingly, outside was filled with more people than during the day.
There were people she'd never seen before, cars that had no business being in front of her hostel. There were big men around, flagged by numerous scantily clad ladies. She recognized a few of them and thought of Nathi.
When she saw a man grinning at her, she knew she had to stop staring. She put her eyes on the ground and walked faster to class.

"Hey." She heard a gruff voice call behind her. She quickened her steps. She wasn't about to stop and tell whoever it was she wasn't interested. Maybe if she ignored him, he'd go away.

He didn't.

"Hey! Baby mi." The voice said coming closer. Why couldn't this person take a hint. She walked faster and gasped when she heard his voice a third time.

"Woman! I have money for your size. Stop wasting my time and come here. I'm an old man. I can't be chasing small thing like you around..."

She could see her class building from where she was and took off. When she was sure she'd lost him, she stopped to take a breath. When she opened her eyes, they almost popped. The class was full. There were people staring at her as she clutched her knees and choked on air like an idiot. She blushed and quickly headed for one of the middle seats. At least she was safe here. When she didn't see Obi anywhere, she texted him.

Oma.*Where the hell are you!!*

Obi. *I'm on my way.

Oma. *What have you been waiting for! It's past ten. You better hurry if you want to read tonight.*

Obi. *stop scowling. It doesn't fit you. Don't be angry with me because you embarrassed yourself in front of the class. I didn't send you*

The bastard!

She glanced around her and easily, she found him at the extreme opposite side of the class, waving at her. She wondered how she'd missed him before.

Obi. What are you waiting for?

She wasn't ready to argue with him, so she walked over to him and sat.

"What..."

"Don't say anything!" She said and he chuckled. " Let's just read."

It didn't take long for the once ghostly quiet class to turn lively again. It began with side comments and graduated to actual noise, and with nobody with actual power to shut anyone else up, the class was quickly a noise fest.

Oma and Obi had gone hours strictly studying even after it struck midnight. Then the noise got to them. Oma maintained she'd read enough, while Obi explained they were experiencing diminishing returns. She told him what had happened to her and how surprised she'd been.