chapter 11

About a week later, the phone issue had just about died down. No one spoke about it anymore as they'd found something more interesting to discuss- Exams had begun.

Oma however was still in trouble with the principal over a crime she'd had no hand in. A petition for her expulsion had been drawn by the matron at first, but the principal who was friends with Oma's mother had intervened. She listened to Oma's side of the story, how she'd never seen the phone in her life and ignoring the protests of other staff who for some reason had it out for her decided Oma would instead serve a heavy punishment. A proper investigation was never carried out.

There were only two punishments that were regarded by students as hard labour- cutting grass and washing toilets. Oma had prayed to cut grass or wash the senior girls toilet in hostel. It was humiliating work for the star girl but it was way better than being expelled.
Unfortunately, the principal in order to pacify other staff had given her the worst ever punishment. The junior boys class toilet. Those animals!
After so many pleas to the principal, the case still stood and there was nothing she could do about it. Fortunately, it was only for a day- that day.

Prior to exams, Oma occasionally read with her private tutor and boyfriend, Dan. They rarely spoke during exams. Infact, sometimes she felt like she was disturbing him. That was why bringing up the phone issue was so difficult for her.

It wasn't that she was afraid of him. It couldn't be. Although she couldn't say she was a hundred percent free around him, she knew she could tell him just about anything. Again, a part of her wanted to believe it'd all been a misunderstanding. Probably someone in her room had slipped the phone into her corner in order to avoid blame. Yes, that sounded plausible. So there was absolutely no point disturbing him over something so trivial. Especially now he was studying for exams.

She studied him as she looked for what to do with her hands, desperately trying to convince herself she wasn't scared of him. He looked handsome when he did anything but even more when he was serious, like now. With his stubble that sprinkled his jaw, his perfectly wavy hair and his clear skin, this was a man she was proud to fuck.

"Why aren't you reading?" He asked quietly without looking up from what he was solving.

"Nothing." She answered quickly and fixed her eyes on her own notes. He'd caught her staring.

Dan sighed and shut his eyes for a second, as if searching for the strength to deal with her.

"If there's something wrong you know you can tell me." He focussed his whole attention on her.

She stared at him and decided to speak.

"You know what, nevermind."

Dan, not being the one to push things decided to let it go.

* * *

A few hours later Dan gazed furiously at the encyclopedia sized chemistry textbook before him. He'd finished it before, but he had to do it again. He couldn't concentrate. His thoughts were filled with What ifs and distractions.

He'd had an argument with his girlfriend over him not pressing to know what was wrong with her. Sometimes she acted childish and it was infuriating.

But he wasn't thinking of her. He was thinking about his grades. He had competition. Serious competition from the girl that always seconded him in class. He never had competition. He was going back. He wasn't focussed on himself. Nothing was worth his grades, not even the most perfect ass. Like he always told himself.

" Dan the man! " Aguiyi hailed in greeting, pulling his hand for a quick shake. He didn't have to worry about Aguiyi. He never read and he only bothered people who didn't want to read.

" How far. " He said faking enthusiasm. Aguiyi was the least person he shared anything personal with. He shook him, equally wrapping his hand skillfully, like it was a password for some secret cult they belonged in.

" Man, there's trouble. I heard your babe is washing junior boy's toilets.Apparently, she's serving a punishment. "

Dan shifted uncomfortably. Oma was the last person he wished to see at the moment. But he couldn't tell Aguiyi, or he'd stay until he heard something interesting.

He stood up quietly, not willing to give himself away. He planned to go close to the bathroom stall and come back without seeing her. Hopefully, Aguiyi would be gone then. But his hopes faded when Aguiyi babbled behind him, following close, obviously wanting to see to the end.

He had no choice but to go all the way. Aguiyi asked a lot of questions he wasn't ready to answer.

There were a few students around, telling stories with notes in their hands. They stopped when they saw them both.

Dan held his breath and opened the door. And he let out the loudest screech he had never thought he could reach.

* *