Chapter 53

In Asher's bed that night, Oma told herself she knew what she was doing. 
He'd been surprised to see her and had said he didn't think she'd forgive him so easily. He'd begged on his knees and promised never again to play such a prank on her. She'd had to beg him in turn to stand as she'd already forgiven him. She knew he found it suspicious how she forgave him so quickly and easily but he said nothing as she also found it suspicious he didn't complain about her breaking his laptop and TV.

Maybe she'd start breaking men's things more often.

She stared at his sleeping form for minutes, noticing how peaceful he looked asleep. She could never leave this man, not like this.

As she huffed, she smiled and tried to imagine Asa's reaction if she told her she was back with the man she dreaded the most; disgust. She imagined Obi next; disappointment, although she knew he wouldn't show it as much as he would have when he still liked her.

When he still liked her.

Why did that sting?

She thought of Nathi and him, trying to be neutral about them but deep down she hoped they still hadn't resolved their fight yet.

She tried to sleep but she felt so energetic, like someone who'd taken an overdose of caffeine. She wished she'd had such strength when she had had consecutive exams, not now when her next paper was in five days. She wondered what to do with herself without waking Asher up.

His phone beeped.

She sighed and searched for something else to do. She'd promised herself to never go through his phone again and she wasn't breaking that promise now. She decided to see a movie in his laptop, a new one he'd gotten in a matter of days.
Three minutes into the movie, a notification bar covered the screen and a loud beep accompanied it, this time she couldn't ignore the message with bold letters.

"If you act up we'll mess you up. This is your last warning!"

And then another from a different number
"Involve the police?"

She sighed, switching off the laptop entirely. Nothing was going to make her snoop around, not even this. She was shaken but going through his messages wouldn't make anything better.

She woke up sometime later, unaware  she'd even fallen asleep. She checked the time which was some minutes to six and got out of bed.
Something about his face just made her angry that morning.
She knew it wasn't really his face; she liked it. She just didn't trust him and although she wanted to move on from whatever she believed she'd seen it still bothered her.

She did everything so quietly so she wouldn't wake him up.
Instead of showering, she scooped water from a tap, cup by cup and squatted to pour the water on her skin as noiselessly as she could. She dressed up quickly as well, didn't put on earrings or heavy ornaments that'd make a sound. All these paid off because a few minutes after six, she was on her way to class.

The atmosphere was dim and eerie, everywhere was almost pitch black. It looked like the setting of a horror movie, a bad omen waiting to happen.
She held her bag closer and walked faster. Her mind drifted back to the first time she'd been here, when she'd seen red eyed men smoking and selling drugs, eyeing her like people who had very evil intentions.

From a distance, she heard the welcoming sound of a motorcycle, even before she saw its break lights. She waved gratefully to its rider and because she was the only one who was going somewhere far, she was soon at the top rear end of the cycle, holding unto it for dear life as it speedily took her to her destination.

Strangely, the hall was entirely empty and Oma suddenly felt scared. She'd never come in to an empty class.
She sat at the back even though every other seat was empty.
Oma had planned to read a little before the hall got noisy, but the excruciating ghost-quiet of the class was strong enough to put even the most caffeinated to sleep.
However, she managed to stay awake for a while as the fear of being carted away with no one to hear her cry for help kept her awake.