Chapter 49

"What exactly are we going to do when we get to this park?" Nathi asked as they walked all the way to the bus station closest to them.

Obi shrugged. "Eat, watch the scenery, join their playground activities, join the tour, but I have a very strong feeling we'll end up standing by the corner and talking."

"What is wrong with you?" Nathi began to say but Oma wasn't interested in the rest of their banter, her mind was on her phone.

She'd texted Asher to let him know she was going out with Obi and Nathi and he'd said he was going out to meet a client. When she didn't know he had a job, he'd always been free but now she knew, he was going to meet a 'client'. She tried to convince herself she was taking it too personally, but she just couldn't.

She trudged along behind them, getting little bits of their conversation. She didn't chime in; she didn't need to, they were doing all the necessary talking.

"We'll make sure not to drink." Obi said, looking behind at her. "Before someone will drug us."

"Why would you joke about something like that?" Nathi asked after a while. She looked slightly pissed.

"To be honest, it's almost like you're always trying to pick a fight with me." Obi huffed.

"I'm not picking a fight. You said something that doesn't sit well with me. How do you think someone who was really drugged by him would feel?" Nathi fired and stopped walking.

Oma felt sick, but she and Obi stopped walking as well.

"Can we just let this go?" Obi said, looking disgusted.

There was tense silence. Oma wanted to say something to suave the matter but as usual, she lacked the words.
Obi stood with one hand in his pocket, looking dangerous.
One of his legs constantly shook, one trait she'd realised meant he was nervous, but apparently also meant he was angry as well.

"When I cause a problem, I always apologise. But when you do, you just ask me to let it go. Does that sound fair?" Nathi's voice was cooler now, but her stance proved the rest of her wasn't.

"And who exactly am I apologizing to? You? Were you drugged?" Obi spat. Nathi's eyes turned to slits.

"Sometimes I just wonder why I'm with you?"

"Me too." Obi retorted.

"Please don't say something you don't mean..." Oma tried.

"Then I'm..."

Whatever Nathi was going to say next was interrupted by her phone ringing.
Both of them stood awkwardly by the side of the road while Nathi answered her phone.

She said, "You guys should go on without me."

"I'm sure he didn't mean it." Oma said. She didn't want to have to spend a whole afternoon with sulky Obi.

"It's not about this." Nathi replied, eyeing him. "I'm going to meet someone."

"Who?" Oma asked.

"My cousin. I haven't seen him in a while."

A pause.

"Was he the one that called you?" She asked.

"No." Nathi replied, but Oma didn't believe her.

"Then why do you suddenly want to see him right after making that call?"

Nathi stared right at her, ready to get defensive.

"What's your deal? How does any of this even concern you?" She asked. Then looking at Obi, she said "See you tomorrow." before walking out.

Oma was furious, but at the same time, she found the whole thing amusing. Nathi was going to find out he was meeting a client away from school and would certainly  feel stupid.
There were lots of times she didn't like Nathi; this one was one of them. She hadn't even wanted to come for this stupid 'celebration' in the first place. She'd have happily spent the rest of her afternoon in her room, watching videos on her phone.