t w e n t y - f o u r.

I sat back in the stool, poking at my food. I felt Luke's eyes on me as we sat in silence, an awkward silence. I could tell he wanted to speak, but he didn't. The silence just continued. I got up, bringing my plate to the sink, scraping the food from it before I began to wash the dishes.

"Is this something about last night, Mase? Because I-"

"No, Luke. It's not." I cut him off, though it wasn't abrupt or anything. I turned around leaning back against the counter, my hands gripping the edge. I gave a soft smile reassuring that it was fine. 

"Then what is it?" He asked, concerned. He made his way to me, his arms around my waist to hold me close. He peered down at me, waiting as I tried to gather up the right thing to say, and how to say it.

"It just feels like everything between us is too good to be true. Because when you guys become big, I'll get left behind. And I'd lose you, Luke. All of you guys. I'm just scared."

"That's what this is about?" He asked with a little entertained smile on his face. He cupped my cheek, bringing my eyes to his. I nodded, taking his hand and pulling it from my face. I stared at our hands as he intertwined them.

"I know, Mase. I'm scared too. But I have you, and I always will. You know I love you more than anything, right?" I nodded again, the words making my heart hurt with the sound  of them. 

"I lo-" A knock came from the door, and suddenly I became anxious because we weren't expecting anyone. Luke and I looked at eachother before he walked over to the door.

"Hey! You coming to our practice- oh." Ashton stopped mid question as he spotted me, clad in Luke's over-sized t-shirt. My hair fell over my shoulders and I bit at my nail nervously, trying to cover all of the love bites Luke left. I assumed the surpise was due to the fact that he had only expected me to be here, alone. And not witth Luke.

"Yeah. Yeah, I can. I'm off today." I said, standing slightly behind Luke. Ashton gave Luke a smile and shook his head, leaving Luke in an embarrassed state and scratching the back of his head. Ashton told us he'd see us later before he walked off.

"Oh my god. That didn't just happen." I whined, covering my face as he shut the door. Luke let out a nervous giggle, pulling me into his arms.

"They'll only make fun of us for a few hours. Or days." Luke joked. He left me in my room to get ready before walking off to the tv.

It took a short time for me to get ready, but I spent a good amount of time trying to cover up the hickeys on my neck. When I finally got them to be barely noticable, I stepped out, Luke smiling.

"Good as new." He smiled, taking my hand. "Starbucks before we go?"

"You're such a white girl." I teased him. He let out a cute giggle as he pulled me out the door. As we stepped out, my neighbor who lived right next door stepped out, looking our way. The middle aged woman gave us an astonished look, mixed with disgust. She turned around walking in the opposite direction, avoiding us.

"Must be some thin walls..." Luke said, looking down at me. I covered my face, embarrassed all of a sudden. Luke just pulled me into his long arms, engulfing me in a hug that lasted a few seconds, though it felt longer.

"What she doesn't know is how much fun we had." Luke winked.

"I know she knows." I said rolling my eyes as he pulled me along. 

✩✩✩

"So I heard you and Luke got it on last night?" Calum joked as we walked into his house. I didn't answer his question in attempt at dodging all the possible nonsense and uneeded questions that would be sent our way.

"Shut up, man!" Luke laughed, playfully ramming his side into Michael.

"You lied, there are no love bites, mate." Calum whispered to Ashton. I looked over to Calum, who smiled observing me. I watched as he looked at me with curious eyes. 

"Enough with that nonsense! Let's rock!" Michael said picking up his guitar. 

I just watched and listened as they played through quieter a few songs. They all sounded amazing, as usual. They had told me they were playing another show for a bigger crowd this time. I congratulated them, seeing how happy it made them.

"Yeah. It's a tour. We found out about it a week ago. We're super excited!" Calum cheered, high-fiving Luke. He stood uncomfortably, his eyes meeting mine, knowing a small fault of his. I gave a faint smile to the boys and excused myself, going back inside.

"Mase." Luke called out, returning from Ashton's garage.

"You could have told me." I said, looking down at my hands. He stood silent, unable to get words out. This just made me feel terrible, on top of what I was feeling before, this made it worse.

"I didn't know how to." He managed.

"A week, Luke. You had a week to figure it out."

"I know, I was stupid. You are the first person I needed to tell. But I didn't want us to be sad about it. I just wanted to spend time with you." He said, wrapping his arms around me.

"Hugs don't make everything better Luke." I said, still standing with my arms crossed.

"I'm sorry, Mase." He said, kissing my forehead. My arms slowly snaked, making their way around him. We held each other close, his arms never letting go. I wanted to cry, but I held back tears because I couldn't show Luke how vulnerable I was.

___________________________

© 2014 ILLUKEMINATTl. All Rights Reserved.