e i g h t e e n.

My small kitchen table was set up with a table cloth, flowers and a single-lit candle. The lights were low, creating a nice ambient feel. I watched as Luke appeared from the hallway, dressed in his usual flannel and skinny jeans. His smile lit up as he watched me walk in.

"I know we haven't been on a proper date or anything, and considering I am on a band budget, I thought this would be alright. I mean, I can get rid of it if you want." He chuckled, scratching his head in embarrassment.

"I love it." I said simply. I sat down, Luke pushing in the chair. I smiled at his gesture, brushing my hair behind my ear.

"I'm going to straight though, I cooked nothing. The boys are better cooks." He said poking at the food on the stove. He placed a plate in front of each of us, my eyes taking in the delicious food. 

"I'd love anything right now, I'm starving. I was supposed to eat with the boys and wha-" Luke looked at me with a silly smile on his face.

"You know, that was all just to distract you while I got everything ready, right? You weren''t really supposed to go out and eat with them." Luke spun the pasta around his fork before he took a bite.

"Now, that you mention it." I laughed it off.  I watched as he sat back in his chair. "So what else do you have planned for tonight?"

"Well to be honest, I never thought m plan would actually pull through. I messed up so many times, I thought I'd fail the whole thing."

"Well, let's do something spontaneous then." I said cheerfully. 

"What do you have in mind?" He asked raising a brow. I got up, taking his hand. I grabbed my bag off of the couch, handing him his keys.

"You'll see." I grabbed the door handle, pulling it open, only to be stopped by the two most unexpected people I would encounter.

"So this is why you don't want to come back." My dad stepped inside, my mother behind him. "Who is this Masen?"

"What are you doing here?" I asked, shocked with the fact that my parents were standing right in front of me. I'd only gotten a call yesterday and they were here now. My heart fell to my stomach and I got nervous all of a sudden.

"Well if you weren't coming to us, we wanted to see why you wanted to stay, but now I see the real reason." My dad's look of concern showed in his eyes as he stared at Luke.

My dad wasn't one for anyone without a clean cut image and the way he looked at Luke scared me, like he'd ban me from ever seeing him again.

"What's you name?" My mother asked.

"Luke." He said, his hands held behind his back. We waited as they took a good look at him. 

"Luke, I think you should go. We need to have a talk with our daughter."

"No dad. I will not. I had plans with Luke, and I won't ruin them just because you guys came here to try and take me back home. I don't want to go back!" I shouted, pulling Luke along with me.

Luke took his car and drove us far. Its all I wanted to be right now, far from my parents. Far from my problems, far from everything. 

I watched through the window as the streetlights passed. I slumped in my seat, wishing that they would leave me alone. 

We stopped at a rest stop, taking a seat on the bench. I sat quietly, being observed by Luke. He watched as I would just play mindlessly with my fingers.

"They want what's best for me, I know. That's what your about to say. But it's not that easy. I don't want to be a part of the company they've built up. It's not what I want, but they always force it upon me, saying "You'll grow with the company, make a legacy." But the thing is, I can't handle that."