t h r e e.

Luke and I headed back to the rest of the band. We realized that the two of us ran out on them. Considering how confused they were when we had left, scenarios ran through my head at all of the things that could possibly think.

"Aye, they are back! You okay love?" Ashton asked, wrapping his arms around me. I smiled, nodding as he pulled away. They had already packed up their things, ready to head out.

"We ended our session early today since, Luke had ditched yet again." Michael's eyes darted to Luke who had scoffed at his comment.

"I realized I had work anyway, the pizza place just called me. I'll see you guys later." Calum called out before waving goodbye and heading out the door. 

Michael left along with Ashton since he was his ride. And then it was just Luke and I.

"Hot date tonight with Anna?"

"Not tonight." He said half-heartedly. I watched as his expression changed within seconds. He went from happy to sad. I understood how much he loved Anna, but we knew how much she wanted to end it. She just couldn't bring herself to break Luke's heart. And Luke was to blind to realize that Anna had changed.

"Just you and me Mase." He smiled weakly, throwing an arm around over my shoulder.

That night, Luke and I sat on the couch, watching those late night tv shows. Nothing else was on, but it was mostly on for background noise, as we talked for most of the time. He dropped me off at my apartment, engulfing me in a hug before bidding his goodbye.

I shut the door, my hand pressed to the wood, a smile on my face.

✩✩✩

I finished freshening up before emerging from my bedroom. Luke sat on my couch, scrolling through his phone until he noticed my presence.

"Hurry up, we're late already." He shouted. I peeked my head through the door, shouting back.

"Just give me five seconds." I laughed. I grabbed my bag, tossing my phone into it. He dropped me off at my job where I filed papers. It wasn't much of an exciting workplace, just some office, but it payed a good amount, enough to keep me at my apartment.

I waved Luke goodbye as he headed for his date with Anna.

Anytime he told me he had a date with Anna, I felt this pang in my heart, like I was jealous that he took time to spend with her.

He spent his fair amount of time with me ever since my and my ex broke up and I grew strangely attached to Luke's presence. The boys noticed how close we'd gotten now that Anna was drawing farther from Luke.

I continued to deny their accusations but inside I knew the real answer.

But Luke was my best friend, and I couldn't risk anything and lose the one person who understood me the most.

I sat at the desk, flipping through the folder of papers and recipients names of them. Today's short shift left me tired, despite the short time I had spent their.

"I'll see you on Monday. Bye Darcy." I said to the receptionist I worked with. She waved goodbye followed by a sweet smile.

"Hey Luke." I greeted him, sliding into his passenger seat of his car.

"Hey." His eyes remained on the road in front of him. Silence filled the car and it felt awkward. If I tried to make conversation I knew it wouldn't work out and Luke would, again, answer me with one word sentences. It was his way of talking when someting was wrong.

As soon as we got to his driveway, he slammed the door. Leaning against his car, he buried his face in his hands.

He bit his lip, his tongue playing with his piercing.

"You know, she broke up with me." He laughed pathetically, his expression changing.

My eyes widened, shocked. Luke looked slightly dazed by it, but far less affected than I expected.

"I thought-" 

"It just didn't work." He cut me off. Looking at the ground, his index and thumb rubbed at his chin. He sighed, bending down to pick up a rock, tossing it across the street.

"Do you want me to stay over?" I asked uncertain. He had skipped my house on the way and I didn't say anything, fearing that he'd just get mad.

"Why do you think I went straight here." He smiled slyly, walking around the car to my side. We found our way into his room. The smell of his favorite cologne lingered in the air. I inhaled, the familiar smell I had grown to love.

Whenever I stayed over and it was simultaneous, Luke always lent me some clothes. I never found it weird that we did this, though he still wondered why I loved it. He rolled his eyes before tossing me on of his t-shirts.

"What! It's comfy. And beside, you could have at least told me I'm staying, we could have picked my stuff up on the way." I giggled. "Turn around!" 

"I was mad at the moment." He chuckled, facing the other wall.

"Okay." I finished changing, folding my things neatly before setting them on the chair.

"Hey Luke."

"Yeah." He said, turning to me.

"Why don't you seem heartbroken over Anna?" I asked. He furrowed his eyebrows, thinking hard about my question. Of course he was still hurt, I could see it in his eyes. Luke wasn't the hard type to read.

"I don't think I ever truly loved her." He said, his eyes now trained on mine. The room fell silent as he sat on the edge of the bed. I sat in the middle, my knees to my chest.

"What about you, why is it so hard to get over Vince?" Luke asked. He shifted in his seat before waiting for my answer. I knew the answer, I just didn't know how to put it into words.

"I realized he never really loved me. And then he left me." My eyes broke our gaze as I stare at my hands in my lap.

"You're my best friend. I'll always love you Mase." He said, his hand on my knee. His thumb caressed circles, comforting me.

It hurt hearing those words.

Best Friend. 

Nothing More.

My hope somehow faltered into pieces and my heart sank. I liked Luke from the moment we met.

When I was just a stranger he comforted by holding my hand.

I've tried so hard to keep those feelings in check ever since, but the more time I spent with him, the more I loved those little things about him. 

Like the way he crinkled his nose when he laughed, or bit his tongue while he smiled.

But it didn't matter what I was to him, because in some form he loved me.

"Luke, can you promise me something?" I asked nervously, my eyes not meeting his.

"Anything." He shifted from his spot on the edge of the bed to right in front of me.

"Don't ever leave me?" I asked, scared that fate could have a different route for us. He pressed his lips to my cheek and pulled me into a warm embrace.

"Promise."

________________________

© 2014 ILLUKEMINATTl. All Rights Reserved.