p r o l o g u e

I watched through the window as the plane steadily rolled along the concrete runway. We moved forward and my stomach dropped. Both my hands tightly grasped both arm rests, my eyes closing. The smell of an airplane was something I hated and to make matters worse, I hated flying in one, much less be surrounded by strangers.

I felt warmth wrap around my left hand, holding gently as they gave me a reassuring squeeze. Their fingers interlocked with mine, still resting on the arm of the seat. I opened my eyes, turning to my left to see a teenage boy around my age, a shy smile on his face. His sparkling blue eyes pierced mine.

It confused me, to be honest. How such a shy boy would be confident enough to comfort someone.

I shot back a smile before taking a deep breath.

The sound of a *ding* reverberated from speaker followed by the pilots low, voice.

"We are now ready for take off. Enjoy your flight folks." And the voice was gone. The feeling in the pit of my stomach returned. The boys thumb caressed the back of my hand, slightly having a calming affect.

The plane took off, startling me at its speed.

"Not too good with heights, huh?" He shrugged. His blue eyes caught mine as I turned to look at him. I shook my head, taking another deep breath. I heaved a sigh, my eyes widening as I looked out the window. I slid the window closed before turning back to him.

"Luke." He held his hand out. He smiled to me, his piercing adorning its place on his lip. My eyes wandered to it before finally meeting his eyes.

"Masen." I took his hand in mine for the shake. He pulled his hand away before placing it back at his side.

"So where are you headed?" He asked, leaning towards me, peaking his interest. He waited as I gathered myself for an answer.

"To my new home. Just moved out." I shrugged. It was one thing to move out of your parents house, but to another state, that was all its own. "What about you?"

"I'm heading to the rest of my band mates. They went ahead since I wasn't able to catch the same flight. We have a meeting with a record label tomorrow. They wanna hear what we've got!" His eyes were bright with excitement as he told me.

"Are you any good? What are you called?" I inquired. I had not really known someone in a band before so it was really interesting, the things he was telling me.

"Don't laugh." He said, his cheeks flushing pink.

"Cross my heart." I imitated the gesture just above where my heart should be. He effortlessly shook his head and chuckled before returning his gaze on mine.

"5 Seconds of Summer."

"Definitely has a ring to it." I smiled.

He went on about how they formed the band, the videos they made and how the record label was interested in the potential they contained. I even got to hear a few snippets of their demos.

I was happy for them, and seeing that this created that smile on Luke's face warmed my heart.

It was like we could talk for hours on end about anything. We went from basically his life story to mine. He turned away, a smile etched on his pink lips. He fiddled with his fingers before looking at me again.

At one point on our flight, Luke and I were messing around with his phone camera, snapping silly and candid pics of each other. He handed me his phone, the dial pad on his screen.

"Add you number." He smiled, his eyes trained on my fingers as I held the device.

"I don't have a phone." I said, handing it back to him.

"So this is my last stop..." He said with a disappointed look on his face. It was like he would never see me again. Instead, he tore a piece of paper from the magazine in the seat pocket and wrote down his own number. He handed it to me with a cheeky smile.

I smiled up at him, not because of the fact that he gave me his number, but because it also was my stop as well.

"Mine too."

The seat belt sign had turned off, indicating we could get up. We gathered our things, everyone awaiting for the pilot to announce the plane doors open.

"Do you want to meet the band? They are waiting for me down at the terminal. I mean, if you want, I don't want to be a bother." He said, his backpack slung over his right shoulder. His hand grasped the strap as he leaned against the seat in front of him.

"I'd love to." I followed down the aisle behind Luke. We took an elevator down to the arrivals area and claimed our baggage.

Walking for quite a bit, we finally reached the last terminal. A group of three boys stood, waving and jumping ridiculously as we neared them.

I drew my head closer to Luke, who had leaned in just the same.

"That's them..." I asked.

"Unfortunately," Luke snickered. "Boys!"

He hugged them, pulling away before introducing me. Or at least attempting to, as each boy introduced themselves instead.

"Calum. Pleasure to meet you." The dark-haired one chirped.

"Michael." He held his hand out and gladly, I shook it, nodding.

"I'm Ashton." He spoke. Each boy had an Australian accent, just as Luke had.

"Um, who are you, may I ask." Calum stepped forward, his eyebrows furrowed as they didn't know my name. Nor did they know Luke had just met me.

"A new friend. This is Masen. I actully met her on the plane not too long ago. I may have told her about us." Luke replied faster than I was able to respond.

"Looks like we've got ourselves a fan." Michael joked. He clapped his hands together in amusement at his own joke.

I rolled my eyes, joining into their laughter.

This was how I met 5 Seconds of Summer.

__________________________

© 2014 ILLUKEMINATl. All Rights Reserved.