Chapter 3

[Louis' POV]

Getting calls at four in the morning was far from my favorite part of the job but being up before the sun to save helpless people was exciting nonetheless. Harry was still getting the silent treatment from me since our last encounter - not that he minded it, he never listened to a word I had to say anyway. Some times I feel like he ignores me just to make me angry, as if he enjoys being do cruel. Which is odd considering he's supposed to be the big hero.

The blaring sound of sirens snapped me out of my thoughts, the black rubber of the tires squealing when I slammed on my brakes right outside of a four story building. Someone had started a kitchen fire in one of the rooms and things seemed to spiral from there, making the term 'spread like fire' pretty ironic.

"Are you trying to fucking kill me?!" The curly haired hero growled from his spot in the passengers seat next to me.

Ignoring him, I put the car in park before rushing out and toward the brick hotel building. Most windows were busted and the flames that surrounded every area seemed to be endless.

As soon as a few pedestrians saw Harry step out of the car, they went ballistic, yelling about how that were three people trapped inside and already praising him like he had already saved the victims. He smiled at them, telling them that he would save them because he's just that powerful before lifting himself into the air and flying into one of the open windows.

"No, Harry, I can walk up the four flights of stairs. Thanks for your offer and your concern for my well-being." I mumbled bitterly to myself, pushing past the crowded area to the side entrance and making my way to the stairwell.

Thankfully the stairs seemed to be one of the only things not engulfed in flames and I made it up to the second floor in record time, pushing the door open and scavenging the perimeter for trapped survivors. When I found nothing, I moved on to the third floor, looking around only to find the asshole I was avoiding, one man slung across his shoulder as he tried to will a little girl to come over to him, a frustrated look on his face.

"Move," I told him, speaking my first words to the green-eyed man in a while.

"What're you doing here? Go back to the parking lot and wait for me there, I can do this alone." He ordered, shooting me a slight glare before turning back to the small child, "c'mon, we don't have much time, get over it and let's go!"

"Hey!" I yelled, slapping the so called hero's arm lightly, "you can't talk to a her like that, she's terrified enough!"

"Don't tell me what to do, Louis! In case you've forgotten, I'm the superhero, not you."

I had to roll my eyes at that. Sure, to the people on the streets below he's such a superhero but right now he's being a super arse to both me and the little girl. I decide that I've had enough of his bullshit for the moment.

"Shut up," I said at last, pushing past him to step closer to the girl.

She looked to be about five, her blonde hair in classic pigtails and her brown eyes rimmed with fresh tears as she stared at the two of us in fear.

"Hi," I started, taking another stride towards the trembling child, having to pull myself back due to the wood below giving out even more, "don't be scared, we're going to get you out of here, okay? Do you have any family?" 

"M-My papa, he-he fell u-under the c-ceiling fan." She informed, pointing over where the fire was particularly terrible.

I nodded toward Harry and he gently set the man he was already holding down where the place was clear before rushing to where the girl spoke of.

"Harry's going to save him. Now can you come closer? I just need you to reach towards me and jump, alright?" I told her, stretching my own arms out, making her just barely out of reach.