Chapter 13

[Harry's POV]

I stand with my head down, hands in front of me. One hand is clasped on top of the other, rubbing circles against the smooth skin with my thumb. Shifting my stance, I roll my shoulders back and look straight ahead. Everything is quiet. People huddle in groups around me, hugging each other for dear life as the tears fall down. Jay stands off to my left, comforting her daughters. She looks up for just a moment and we lock eyes before I can look away. 'Meet me afterwards' she mouths at me. I just nod stiffly and look to my right. Halley's parents are standing there with their heads down, while the girl from the bowling alley stands farther back, a picture of Louis clutched tightly in her hand. I look away from her. It took 3 weeks to get the funeral in place. And I'm surprised at the turnout. Many people that Louis talked to after I saved them...they're all here. Every single one of them.

The news of Louis' "death" has been the only headliner on the news. Cameras have started following me around. Headlines stating:
Harry Styles losing his sidekick and trusted friend. Who does he have now?

People wondering how he died. Asking me questions I have no answers to. Calls for more interviews have been directed to my phone, but I just shut it all down. It's too much stress being on my own. And I do need someone.

You need Louis.

Before I can judge myself for the thought, someone nudges me forward. The man at the pulpit moves away, making room for me to go up there and speak.

"No...I can't," I start to say but one look from Jay and everyone there I feel like I have to do this for them. "Thank you." I mutter to the guy as I stand at the microphone.

Looking out at the crowd, I see hundreds of people sitting here. Thousands - maybe millions - watching on television as every single news reporter has his or her cameras at the ready. I clear my throat and begin to speak.

"Louis Willaim Tomlinson...the greatest friend anyone could ask for."

"What do you mean friend? You ditched him!" Someone yelled from the back. He was quickly escorted out for his rude outburst, and I take in a shaky breath and continue.

"Many of you knew him as the guy behind the scenes. The one who would stay and comfort the families while I went back to our flat and sat like the fool I am. Some of you may have known him as a friend...and some of you lost your brother and son...but I lost a friend. Well not a friend...he was more than that to me. He knew it then," I put my head down in shame, "he just didn't know it now."

Jay nods in her seat, acknowledging my statement.

"And I know I've been different and strange towards him...but he was the best friend anybody could've asked for....anyone could wish for. And I still love him."

Everybody gasps. I look up, shocked at what I just said. Jay covers her mouth with one hand while I frantically wipe my tears with my hand. Stepping down from the podium I go down the aisle. People pat me on the back with whispers and the media comes at me with their microphones.

"Did you love your sidekick Harry?"

"Is there something you aren't telling us Harry?"

"ARE YOU AND LOUIS DATING??"

I turn at that one. "How can l Louis and I be dating?" I seethe. "Louis is dead. And he isn't coming back. Not now, not ever."

And with that I make my way all the way through the building, running all the way outside until I can jump and fly away.

* * *

Ding dong!

"Come in Jay." I yell to the door. It opens and an infuriated Jay comes storming in. She doesn't bother to close the door before she stomps over to where I'm sitting on the couch and slaps me full across the face.

"HOW COULD YOU SAY MY SON WAS DEAD?"

Slap.

"AND THEN COME OUT OF NOWHERE SAYING YOU LOVED HIM?"

Slap.

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT STYLES?!"

She moves as if to slap me again but I gently stop her and scoot over, making room for her to sit next to me.

"Help me understand it Harry," she says calmly. "How could you do this to my son?"

I don't respond.

"You pushed him away and for what? He's gone Harry. He's god knows where and who knows if he could actually be dead now!"

I turn away from her and sigh.

"It's what's best Jay."

"THE HELL WITH WHAT'S BEST!" She stands up and moves away. "You said my son was dead! Are you happy now? Is this what you wanted? To be all alone in this million dollar flat of yours with no one to share it with but the whores you bring in?!"

"You know I stopped that Jay..."

"When Louis left? Because you had nobody to fill with jealousy?"

"What are you..?"

"Here you have it Styles. Louis loves you. And you were too caught up in your ego to notice. And now that you've realized that you loved him too, he's already gone."

She makes her way back to the front door. "Are you happy now?"

Then she slams the door, leaving me alone once more.