Chapter 17

[Harry's POV]

I honestly don't know why I agreed to let Liam be my sidekick. It was one of those Amur of the moment decisions that I'm not exactly sure I stand by now. Was it because he saved me from the paps? Or because his name started with an L and it would make me forget Louis? It was probably both. Louis would've probably left me to fend for myself with the paps, so I made a good choice. But even if I made a bad one, I can't change my mind now. I glance to my left, key in hand. Liam's bouncing on the balls of his feet with glee written all over his face. He sort of resembles a little kid who's in a toy store and their parents told them they could grab anything they want. It's a strange thing to watch. Turning the key in the lock, I open the door.

"Welcome to my flat." I wave my hand around the area as Liam's eyes widen in awe. I motion for him to close the front door before directing him in and showing him around. "This is the kitchen and that's the living room. Oh, and that's the window that I fly in and out from so don't be alarmed when you hear movement over there at random hours." He nods. I'm about to lead him upstairs when he stops at a door instead.

"What's this?" He moves his hand to open the door but I dash to him and push him away, causing him to stumble and land flat on his arse.

I shake my hands out and let out a breath. "It's nothing." He opens his mouth as if to argue but I interrupt him. "If you go in there you're out, got it?" Pushing past him I make my way to the stairs and go up. His footsteps follow me.

"This is my room." I open my door and then shut it. Walking down the hallway I stop at the last door. Peeking in I swallow. "And this is your room...."

He shoulders his way in and stops. "Why is it empty?"

"It was never used." He nods and goes into the bathroom attached to his room. "We'll go shopping later for clothes and whatever you need."

"Oh really?" He runs out and jumps at me, tackling me in a hug. "Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!"

"Let go."

"I have to tell my mom! I have to tell my friends! Wait I don't have any but you'll be my friend, right?"

"Get off."

"I'll take a shower right away! But do you have any clothes I can borrow?"

"No touchy."

He realizes that I want to be let go and backs away shyly. "I'm sorry. It's just that..."

I sprint into my room, grab some clothes, and come back. Then I go get him a towel and soap and throw my load at him. "We leave in 20 minutes."

Storming out the room, I go downstairs into the room I wouldn't let him enter.

Louis' room.

Tiptoeing in, I float for a bit and lower myself on the bed. Bringing the pillow to my face, I breathe in the lingering scent. A tear escapes my eye and I wipe it away before putting everything back the way it was and leaving the room. Liam's making himself at home, snacking away in the kitchen.

How long was I in there?

The look on my face must've given me away because he drops his Poptart. "I took a quick shower if that's alright." Reaching down, he picks up the dropped pastry and places it in the trash.

"So you're ready?" He nods. Getting my keys from the counter I motion for him to follow. "Let's go then."

* * *

"Can I get this one?"

"No."

"How about this one?"

"No."

Liam pouts. "Why not?"

I give him a blank look. "Stop acting like a 5 year old." He folds his arms across his chest. "And besides, you don't need a new phone. I have a number that you can use."

He smiles brightly and thanks me, moving past me to push our cart to the check out line. As the cashier starts scanning our items, Liam turns to me.

"Thanks again for letting me be your sidekick." I nod stiffly.

"Let's just get your stuff set up."

* * *

I hand him the phone. "Ok, text me. My number is already programmed."

"As Har(sehole)ry?" He raises an eyebrow.

My whole body seems to stand straight. I didn't know that Louis called me that. Shaking my head I mumble, "You can change it."

When I found Louis' phone stuffed in his drawer a few weeks ago, I never knew that he thought of me in such a bad way. Scowling to myself I stand up and move away from the table. "Interviews and everything else will be directed to your phone. Your job is to set up everything and stay in the background, got it?"

Liam looks up and nods. "I'm the hero. You're the sidekick. When I tell you to do something, you do it. Don't go against what I say or you'll pay the price."

"So basically I get to help you do all this stuff but I get zero recognition?" Liam raises an eyebrow and huffs at me.

I chuckle slightly and wink at him, "You work for me now. That's enough recognition don't ya think?"

I turn away and start to make my way upstairs. Liam mumbles to himself, not yet knowing about my hearing. "I'll keep the name that's on here."

Hopping up the stairs, I stomp into my room and throw myself on the bed. Why was it a good idea to get a sidekick?

* * *

It's been four months since I took in Liam as my sidekick. And he's actually been doing pretty well. He knows when to stay behind when I'm doing a mission, and to not overshadow my efforts to save people. I haven't had any problems with him, and we're actually becoming pretty close. He and I are as close as Louis and I were back then.....

No.

You will not think of him.

I've almost completely forgotten about Louis. Sometimes I'll call Liam his name by accident, but he's learned not to ask about it. Well, he learned his lesson when I slapped him the other time he asked. Now he doesn't bring it up anymore.

A sneeze startles me from my thoughts. "Bless you." I mumble over my shoulder to Liam. He doesn't mumble anything back. I turn all the way around in my seat and then float up, staying inches from his back. Peering over his shoulder, I see him texting someone. "Who is it?" I question.

Liam looks at me and quickly locks the screen. "No one." The bright red in his cheeks tell me otherwise. But I don't press. He stays out of my business, I stay out of his.

Nodding, I touch down and walk into the kitchen. Opening the fridge, I look inside and scrunch my nose. "When was the last time you went shopping, Boo?" It takes me two seconds to realize what I said. Thankfully, Liam acts as if he doesn't hear me.

"I'll go now." Getting up, he gets his key from the counter and heads out, placing his phone in his back pocket. "I'll be back soon, alright?"

"Ok."

When I'm sure he's gone, I go into Louis' room and sit on his bed. His scent is almost completely gone and I lay back.

Why can't I forget?

Sitting up I know my solution. Dashing back into the kitchen, I open the bottom drawer and take out what I need the most in this moment.

Alcohol.

Pouring a glass, I salute to the air. "Here's to forgetting." Then I tip the glass back.