Chapter 18

[Harry's POV]

Liam has now been my sidekick for a bit over a year. During this time, we have become closer "friends" I guess you could say. In reality, I tolerate him and he puts up with my shit, such as when I slip up and call him Louis. It's just a force of habit for that familiar name to escape my lips, and sometimes I'm completely unaware of my slip up. That is until Liam makes me aware of my mistake and I pretend it hadn't happened. We were stepping out of the elevator to our floor when I slipped up and called him Louis again.

"Make sure to get the keys out before we get to the door Louis, can't have you taking forever." I chuckled, immediately choking on my laugh afterwards as I mentally cursed myself for calling him Louis again.

"Ok, I've had enough of this." Liam turns and faces me, crossing his arms over his chest. "Who's Louis?"

I stiffen. He hasn't dared asked me this before now. "He's dead. That's all you need to know."

"But didn't you say you loved him?"

I walk towards him and poke a finger into his chest. "Enough of this!" He flinches. "Don't you dare bring him up again. Ok?"

Moving my finger away he just snorts and nods, finally getting out the key and unlocking the door. "I'll ask you when you're ready princess." He twirls the keys around his finger, pushing past me into our flat while I stand there spluttering.

"I'm no princess to you!"

"But you were to Louis." He calls over his shoulder in a singsong fashion.

I flip him the bird behind his back and head upstairs, leaving him snickering behind me. Louis never dared speak up to me. What's going on?

* * *

We were sitting in a coffee shop when he asked again. I'd gotten nothing, because I wasn't in the mood for a drink or muffin. We had just saved a 6 year old girl that had almost been raped, and it just made me queasy to think about it. The world nowadays was sickening and the fact that someone could treat a young child like this was repulsive to me. The man who did it deserves to die, and I would've killed him myself if I wasn't meant to turn him over to the "proper authorities." Proper authorities my ass. They'll lock someone up for years just for having drugs on their person, even if they didn't even know it was there, but let a rapist off scot-free with just a couple months. Liam's mouth was full of blueberry muffin when he spoke, breaking me out of my thoughts. "So who's Louis?"

I slam my fist down on the table, causing people to stare at us all around the coffee shop. "God damn it Lou!"

It took me a couple seconds to realize my mistake when Liam raised an eyebrow and went, "Lou?" He chuckled, causing crumbs to fall out his mouth which he quickly collected and placed back , chewing happily.

"Li! I said Li!"

"You said Lou, Harry."

"No, I didn't." I glare at him, challenging him to say otherwise which in turn caused him to shrug. "I said not to bring him up again."

"I asked 5 months ago Harry!" He takes a sip of his lemonade. "Can't you be ready now?"

"I'll be ready when I say I'm ready." I shoot back. "And as of now I'll never be."

"And that," he raises his cup as if to salute me, "is what they all say my friend."

I growl at him and pick up my jacket, storming out the coffee shop. Liam quickly gathers the remainder of his snack and follows me, trying to catch up. I let him catch up before I take off into the sky, giving him no warning.