Thought Thirty - Eight. - Time flies & sh!t hits the fan.

One Year Later 

Pure. 

Looking into the soul of a pure, un-touched being; is a magnificent thing. A luminescent glow flourishes her. It's as if she is far beyond her four weeks of age, and is already bestowed with the knowledge of our world. The only thing missing is the dread, and despair, in which this world can throw upon you. I can only hope that she will never have to experience such feelings, or witness any evil. 

Her eyes slowly close, as she fights to keep them trained on me. But it's no use, she is only a baby. Sleep is forever calling, and overpowering the little one. 

Our, little one. 

Making sure that she is completely asleep, I tuck her into her cashmere blanket and place her gently into her her bassinet. I lay on our bed, thinking about how nice it would be to get a little nap in, before Neven or Embrie decides to disturb me. It's not that they aren't welcome to disturb me, I love them both to death... It's just sometimes I need a little break here and there. 

And it's only been a year. 

Embrie. 

Neven and I had decided on that name, due to the fact that it was a piece of who I am. Neven agreed that it is a beautiful name, and that was that. My little princess is growing up so fast already, and it fills me with dread to think of the time in the future, where I am going to have to tell her of the prophecy. 

What will become of my beloved daughter?

I try to put myself at ease, and erase my thoughts and worries for the future. Instead, I find myself replaying my memories of the night I had Embrie. I remember a lot of it, as if it happened only yesterday. I remember the awful pains, and hearing the agonizing screams that were coming out my own mouth. I remember the look of sincere worry and love, etched onto Neven's face. Also, I remember Jones. 

Ah, Jones.

Everything that had happened concerning him, leading up to that night. He had saved me from falling down the stairs, and he was there right before I went into full on labor. But why was he there in the first place? He had become somewhat of a threat, ever since the fight with him and Neven in the woods. He was always lurking outside, in the dark. 

I knew this. 

Sometimes, I even searched for him from inside, looking out my window. 

I think that I will always have a place in my heart for the courageous, asshole; named Jones. 

But there will never be enough room for the four of us. Our journey together has come to an end, and for that, I am grateful. 

Saddened in some ways, but nonetheless, grateful. 

My daughter is safer without him near. And thankfully, we haven't heard nor have seen him since the night we welcomed Embrie into our world. 

Feeling my eyelids growing even more heavy, I grab the covers and pull them over my body. I soon start to drift off, only to be startled awake by Embrie wailing a few minutes later.

I jump out of bed, and look towards the bassinet, where I had laid Embrie to sleep. I wonder what the matter is... I fed her twenty minutes ago, and changed her diaper. Maybe she just needs a good burping. I walk to the bassinet, only to be thrown backwards by an invisible force.

"What the hell!" I get off my arse, and try again.

Only to be thrown backwards, with even more force.

Rubbing my head I get up, and yell for Neven. Within a minute, he is running the stair steps two at a time, and bursting through the door.

"Ariel?" He screams over Embrie's cries, looking from me to the baby.

Shaking my head, I walk over to him and take his hand in mine.

'Let's just talk this way. There's no point in yelling over her.' 

'Okay, but what's wrong with her?' He asks through our mind link, walking towards our daughter.

He continues to walk closer, but just as he gets two feet away from the bassinet, he bounces backwards.

'What the hell was that?' He barks, looking at me quizzically. 

'I'm not sure, but if we can't get to her, then we have a problem here, Captain.' 

"Drop the nickname, and I agree." He replies in my ear, giving up on the more convenient way of communication for us at the moment. 

I don't understand what's going on... I was only asleep for a minute, not even. I don't even think that I truly feel asleep!

How could this happen?

 And what is this?

I hope it's not hurting poor Embrie. She is crying like it is, but how in God's name am I supposed to know? 

"Is it magic?" I ask, not knowing what else it could be. 

He circles the invisible area that enables us from reaching our child. He lightly touches it with his hand, and his mouth drops open when his hand is flung backwards, much like our bodies were. 

"I think it is." He replies. 

"What if we try using our super speed to run at it, and maybe the force and impact will destroy it?" I try , running out of any other ideas. 

"We can try, I mean, we don't have anything better to try at the moment..." We both look at each other, and nod. We back up to the other side of the room, and placing our backs against the wall, we simultaneously put a foot forward and launch ourselves towards the bassinet. 

But to no avail.

We only hit the invisible orb faster, and harder, and end up in the wall we had launched off of.

Embrie's crying stops.

The silence is worse then her crying.

The silence is like warning bells, chiming in my head.

My eyes pop open, and I run to the bassinet.

Only to find it empty.

Neven comes to my side, putting an arm around my waist. I place my hand on her little pillow, and feel the silk as my finger slides smoothly against it.

This is where her head was resting a second ago. 

I pick the pillow up and hug it tightly to my chest, feeling as if my heart has been ripped from me. I let myself cry, and sob. Barely any breathing happening. There's no point in breathing, if my child is gone. 

"Ariel, ma' dear." He turns me around, and tries to dry the tears that are cascading down my cheeks with his thumb. 

But there's no point. 

Not really. 

It's not going to help me in any way, and it won't reassure me that everything is going to be okay. Because I know it won't be. I can feel it in my gut, that something is happening, and Embrie is a part of it. 

"Ma' dear, please... look at me." He tilts my head upwards so that I am forced to look at him through my teary abyss. He holds a paper up to my face. 

"Someone left a note." He says. 

I fiercely grab the small piece of paper from him, reading it immediately. 

The prophecy has been called upon. 

The prophecy will no longer be a burden of yours. 

She is now mine. 

Do not look for her, because you will fail. 

Hers, and your, fates have been sealed.