Chapter Seventeen

Sa byahe ay wala silang imikan ni Chase. Tanging si Francis lamang ang kumakausap sa kanya. Pagkarating nila sa village. Agad siyang nagpaalam sa mga ito na didiretso na sa cottage. Doon ay sinimulan niya ang pagiimpake. While doing so, nahagip ng tingin niya ang lumang sumbrerong natatabunan ng ilan niyang mga damit. She took it and looked at it for a moment. It was Chase's old bullcap.. She closed her eyes as she breathed in to it. Smelling the familiar smell that managed to comfort her over the years.

Ganoon siya hanggang sa makarinig ng isang katok. Chase stood in her doorway.

"Can I come in?" He asked.

"Sure." Niluwagan niya ang pinto para makapasok ito.

Once inside, she saw him looking at her clothes on the bed.

"You're leaving?"

She bit her lower lip at the query in his voice.

"Uh.. yeah.."

"Kelan?"

"Uhm... bukas."

"Papuntang Manila?"

Tumango siya. "Then connecting flight back to Colorado.."

Tumingala ito and then exhaled a heavy sigh. Ng tumingin ito sa kanya, she was almost taken aback by the kind of intensity those pair of black eyes held.

He looked like someone who have so many questions that needed answering. Pero imbes na magtanong, nanatili itong tahimik. He didn't dare ask at all even though she knew by the way he's clenching and unclenching his jaws, gustong gusto nitong magtanong.

"I'm just gonna finish some unfinished business. Then I'll be back."

She didn't know why she bothered telling him that, gayong ito din naman ay hindi magawang sagutin ang mga tanong niya. But the moment she saw the look on his face... he couldn't help but tell him.

"Unfinished business to where?"  He suddenly asked.

She stilled then relaxed.

"Bukas ko pa lang malalaman." Iwas niya.

That made his eyes flashed darkly. "Can't your boss tell you the details over the phone?"

Nagiwas siya ng tingin. How can she tell him when the information is nothing but classified? Isa pa, wala itong kaide-ideya na sa pinasukan niyang trabaho. He doesn't even know that she's a damn member of the Navy Seal!

He sighed.

"I'm just worried about you, Cece." Anito mayamaya.

Well you didn't seem this worried for the past seven years.. She wanted to say but she stopped herself. Wala naman ng patutunguhan kahit sabihin pa niya.

"I'll be fine." She said to him instead. "I can take care of myself."

He looked like he have so many things to say but she immediately drove their conversation off course.

"Bakit ka nga pala nandito?"

Lumapit ito sa kanya. He held a small box in his hand.

"What's that?"

"Just take it."

Kinuha niya iyon at saka binuksan. Ang pamilyar na beaded black earrings na nakita niya kanina sa shop ang tumambad sa kanya. Awang ang mga labing tumitig siya dito.

"I saw you looking at it earlier. Nakalimutan mong bilhin nung lumabas ka so I bought it."

She gave him a slight smile. "Right.. I forgot. Uhm, magkano?"