Chapter 14: And Then There Were More

Chapter 14: And The There Were More

May's P.O.V.
Haggerman's boots crunched in the wet gravel as he lead me around the edge of the large tavern and toward the back.

The building he lead me toward was clearly a barn, but what confused me was it's build. Not only were there the basic doors on the side, but also there was a second pair.....on the roof...

"Um...what are those for?" I asked, pointing hesitantly toward the sky facing doors.
Haggerman followed the path of my finger with his eyes and chuckled,"You'll see." He said, grabbing the wooden groove in one if the huge doors and tugging it open enough to push it.

What I saw, I will probably remember for the rest of my life. Not because I wouldn't see it again, but because it was my first light shined into the unknown.

There were ten stalls in the barn, five on either side and each one occupied. The occupants varied from mythological griffins and hippagriffs, to Pegasus, to unicorns, and something that looked suspiciously looked like a Shetland pony made of glass.
In the center, wrapped around a huge support pole that towered to the roof, lazed a monstrous, dark green, Chinese Dragon. It's beard was long and white and smoke coiled from its nostrils as it cracked a yellow eye bigger than my head. It's antlers would've put the biggest elk or moose to shame.

A growl rumbled in its chest and I jumped when it spoke, "Who is this, Haggerman?" It rumbled deeply. Haggerman smiled, "A friend, now go back to sleep Yin." The big man said, nodding respectfully to the creature.

I, on the other hand, stood there staring at Yin like an idiot. A deep, vibrating sound shook the walls and at first I thought he would eat me. Then I realized the Chinese Dragon was laughing.

He simply dipped his great head,"We will meet again, Protector." Yin said before laying his head back down and closing his disc like yellow eyes.

Just then, a harsh laugh rang through the little barn and my eyes snapped to another of the lower rafters. There, laying on it, was a white griffin with no wings and sharp blue eyes, it's lion tail hanging down and furry white tip flicking.

"A protector? Out here? There must be a mistake. No Protector has bothered with the Ancient Lands in centuries." By the voice I could tell it was female.
Haggerman let out a sigh,"May, this is Frost the Ice Griffin." he said, pinching the bridge of his nose in annoyance.

"And if she is bothering you, I can very quickly put a stop to that." I spun around and got a mouthful of golden fur. Taking a step back, my jaw dropped.
The size of a full grown grizzly bear, this Griffin was clearly male. His beak was a shining bronze and his eyes like liquid gold. His head was that of a hawk's and golden tufted ears were pricked on top.

His front two bird talons were stark yellow and could no doubt tear me in half. A mane of mixed fur and golden feathers went from his neck and covered his chest to stop just behind his shoulders. His back half was that of a golden lion, paws enormous and tail long and flicking idly. What caught my eyes the most though were the two beautiful wings that sprouted from between his shoulders, so many different shades of gold that I couldn't count them all even if I tried.

Haggerman's frustrated look turned to one of relief, "May, this is Ranroc the Griffin King. Or as I like to call him, His Majesty Sir Bird Brain." The Fate laughed.

The griffin, Ranroc, rolled his gold eyes and took a step back to bow slightly,"It's very nice to meet you May. Call me Ranroc." He chuckled.

"Where's Kaya and the little one?" Haggerman asked curiously, the question directed toward Ranroc as he straightened up.