Chapter 11: Friends Family and Shifters

Chapter 11: Friends, Family, and Shifters

May's P.O.V.

The first thing I was aware of was the souls. I could feel them everywhere. For some reason I recognized them.

Then Maylec's voice broke through the barrier I hadn't realized was there. "May, it is time to wake up. You died longer than I expected, so the others are a bit worried."

I mentally nodded and slowly opened my eyes. Rue, Elena, Annie, and Cassie all stood or sat on my ledge in their cat forms, whispering quietly to themselves.

Suddenly Elena looked over and noticed me watching. She frowned and the others whipped around, surprise shooting across all their faces. "May... your eyes..." Rue said quietly. I lifted my head and looked at her, confused.

Just then Maylec showed me what I looked like. My skin was drawn in and shadows hung around me like old friends, but that wasn't the weird part. The odd part was the fact that my dark blue eyes, were no longer blue.

They glowed a bright red with blue flecks in them. The red looked so deep and bright, like a sea of blood. I loved it.

I smiled at them weakly and stood up with a stretch. My fur fluffed up and I shivered slightly at the cold that filled the small cave. Rue smiled.

"Sorry May. I'm still getting used to controlling the cold." She said with a laugh. I nodded and looked around.

Again I noticed the buzzing of the souls in my head. But these were different. I could feel them and their emotions but they felt almost... off limits. I flattened my ears and hissed at them, internally and out loud.Annie looked at me confusedly, cocking her big spotted head to the side.

Before she could say anything though, Cassie's eyes widened. "You hear them too??" she gasped.

I nodded. "I hear two different versions though. One is so bright it hurts." I growled. Cassie looked confused. "That's funny.. the other ones I'm hearing feel so dark... like they're scared and lost.." she said.

"It's because you two are hearing the souls of the dead and living. She senses the souls of the living easier, you sense the souls of the dead easier." Maylec said in my head.

I listened closely and nodded turning to Cassie and repeating what Maylec said.

"Oh." Cassie said, looking thoughtful. I smiled and Annie hissed. "Your teeth and fangs are black!" she exclaimed.

"So are her claws." A growl came from the entrance of the cave before Lukas, in his raptor looking form, walked the rest of the way up the steps to stand beside me. Unconsciously I took a step closer to him before noticing and starting to move away.

I didn't get far before two little wisps of shadow curled around me, dragging me to Lukas's side.

I let out a short clipped roar and panicked. There was a horrible tearing sound and suddenly with a blur, I was outside. After a moment I realized I was sitting on top of my cave, moonlight shining around me. I whipped my tail, frustratingly.

Why? Why did the enemy have to be my mate? Why couldn't he hate me as much as I wish I could hate him? But I knew there was no use. Frigging mate bond.

I jumped as something brushed my back. A glimpse of black flashed out of the corner of my eye. Turning my head I gasped. Sprouting just between my shoulder blades were two jet black wings.

They were leathery like bat wings and big. With a jolt I realized I could feel the muscles and bones. I stretched them open, relishing in the freeing feel.