Chapter 1

Ilena’s POV

You know when two people always seem to end up together they say it’s the work of fate. Well I think fate should just leave me alone! Turns out the idiot is failing in lit. And since I’m Mr. Herman’s best student he obviously assigned him to me.

*** Before she knew about the tutoring

Class ended and I came out with smile on my face. You guessed it I just ended a class with Mr. Herman. But then stopped me. “Um Ilena can I speak to you for a minute or so” I nodded and headed towards his desk. In my fantasies this would be the moment where he asked me to marry him. “Yes Mr. Herman” I repeated twice because the first time I said it with a squeaky voice. I was really nervous I’ve never really talked to Mr. Herman up close I mean I would always answer his questions but he was always at the front of the class and I was like in the middle back. "I have a student that is failing miserably in this class and I would like you tutor him.”

“Okay.” I answered right away. I would do anything to make Mr. Herman to slightly think more awesomeness of me. Now I had a tiny slighter bigger chance to end up with him. “So who is it? Jacob, Marty, Eddie” Mr. Herman kept shaking his head. I was naming the most troubled and least attentive people in class. I would know because they’re the ones who tend to throw eraser shavings and paper at me. I know cliché right? “You will be tutoring Mr. Danuta.” I looked at him confuse. I didn’t know any guy with the last name.

“You better know him as Zander Williams.” My mouth literally dropped to the floor. “But Mr. Herman Zander isn’t even in this class I’ve never seen him— “Exactly that’s why he’s failing he never actually attends the class so I thought that maybe if he had some tutoring he could at lease pass the end of term exams. I mean as a teacher it is my duty to make sure all off my students graduate or at least get a fair chance.” I was amazed by Mr. Herman’s loyalty to his job I just bummed that it involved Zander. But Mr. Herman was looking at me with his big brown eyes and he looked at me whit a my life-depends-on-this face. “Okay fine I’ll do it” I finally conclude. “Well that’s great because you both have study hall next and I’ve arranged for you guys to meet at the library he will already be there” well that’s just great Mr. Herman already knew that I would say yes. That sounds a bit hopeless to me.

I was about to turn to leave when I remembered something “But how do you know he won’t skip?” I asked. “I have my ways” he said winking at me. I couldn’t see myself but I could feel it in my skin that I was blushing furiously. “Okay” I whispered before the bell rang. I ran off the library but I wasn’t looking forward anything. “Hey Bentley!” Zander screamed “Shhh! Would you shut up were in a library.” I rage whispered. He gave me an evil smirk. “You here that my girl wants me to be quiet!!” he shouted at the top of his lungs. I covered his mouth with my hand and apologized to the librarian coming over to tell us we were to loud (which I obviously knew) “Listen I’m forced to tutor you and I’m not happy about it one bit so let’s just get this over with Zander” suddenly he took me by the hips and started pulling me closer to him. I put my hand on his chest to push him away “Tutoring doesn’t mean flirting” I reminded him. While I walked at the back of the library I examined my hand it felt tingly. His chest was so toned and muscular. “Ileana Gabrielle Bentley are you crazy? You can’t be thinking about how hot Zander is.” I whispered to myself. “You’re doing this because Mr. Herman asked you to and he’s the one you should be concentrated on.”

***

We’ve been working for 40 minutes now and it’s going pretty well. We could’ve been working for an hour if it didn’t take Zander 20 minutes to stop flirting and doing all kind of tricks. “Great that’s it” I felt pretty satisfied the tutoring was going so well that I we wouldn’t need to do as many sessions as I thought. “Hey wanna play a game?” he asked. “Fine you did so well that we could play at least one game.” He winked at me and I blushed I don’t know why but I still did. “Okay how about spin the bottle “I sent him a death glare. “Okay, okay I was just joking. How about truth or dare?” “Now way I promised myself that I wouldn’t pick truth ever again because I ended up confessing my crush to my crush. And also I really don’t want to do any dares with you.”

“How about 20 questions?!” that was a pretty safe game I thought to myself. “Fine but I get to go first.” “Okay” he said before sitting back on the couch and relaxing. “How come you tell people that your last name Williams when it’s actually Danuta” suddenly he sat up straight and looked at me with a how-did-you-know-that- face. “Are you just embarrassed that your last name means little deer in polish.” I laughed but he didn’t react he just looked at me with a blank expression. “Um well Danuta is my dad’s name but when my parents got divorced I decided to just use my mom’s name.” I didn’t know why he wanted change it. It was a divorce but maybe he had a bad relationship with his dad.

I kept quiet because I suspected that he didn’t want to talk about it. He broke the silence “So does your name have a meaning?!” “That counts a question” I reminded him. “My last name I don’t think so but Ilena somehow means light of the sun in I don’t know what.” He gave a weird look “What?!” I asked “Well you’re pretty sarcastic for a person who’s supposed to little miss sunshine” he said laughing. As much as I wanted to strangle I found myself smiling. “Okay here’s another question...” I started “How did Mr. Herman get you not to skip this study session?” “Can you keep a secret?” “That counts as a question.” I laughed. “Well part of it is because you were going to tutor me but also because Mr. Herman is my brother.” I looked at him in shock.

My mouth literally fell to the floor. “What?!” I screamed loud enough for the librarian to come and threaten to kick us out. “But that doesn’t make sense! Your last name isn’t Herman.” He chuckled “Actually that’s his first name we came up with the trick before he became a teacher at my school.” Now that I thought about it they did look alike. The same brown hair, the same chin and the both had the same winking face. No wonder I blushed whenever Zander winked at me. It reminded me so much of Mr. Herman that it had the same effect. “Oh!” I said he looked at me perplexed but didn’t ask. Good thing he didn’t because he could’ve asked it as a question and once again I would’ve admitted another of my embarrassing crushes thru a game.

“Is that why you often skip lit?” “Not exactly just don’t like it.” I laughed. Then suddenly he scooted over closer to me. He grabbed my chin. Our faces were so close that our noses were touching. “But you know I think you found a way to make it a lot more fun.” I could feel his hand rubbing my back. “Um...” I said picking up his hands and putting them back on his lap. The bell rang. I got up and packed up all my stuff. “Same thing tomorrow?” he asked. “Well maybe except I could do it without the flirting.” I heard him laugh before slumping back into his chair.

Connor POV

“Well maybe except I could do it without the flirting.” I laughed before lying on the couch again. I sighed I actually wanted to spend more time talking crap with her. Even though she always had a hint of annoyance and sarcasm in her voice when she talked to me but I liked it. It made me want to impress her and challenge her a little. And when I told her my secret about my brother she looked so stunned kind of like it bothered her. The bell rang again and I headed out quickly I was going to miss my chemistry class (and never really told anyone but it’s my favorite subject).

***

The day was almost over and I was happy about it. I could only take so many hours of school. I met Mark and Liam at my locker. “Hey guys.” “Hey you know after soccer practice today maybe we could go on a triple date with some girls that I set us up with” Mark suggested. I shook my head. “Guys you know that I don’t do dates their wastes of time.” I shivered pretending to be disgusted. The truth was I didn’t want to waste money or time on some girls I didn’t even know. I’ve never been on a date anyways all I need to do is take them to a corner and do what I have to do. “Oh come on these ones are hot!” Liam shouted. “Hotter than you two, I bet.” “Shut up Williams” Liam screamed.

“Actually it’s Danuta.” Some random girl corrected. “Where in hell did you hear that?!” I exclaimed. “It’s all over the school. School’s worst player’s last name actually means tiny dear!” she giggled before running of.  Only Ilena would know that it meant that. Honestly before she told me I didn’t even know. “What your real name is Danuta?” Mark asked surprised. “Yah it’s my stupid father’s last name.” Mark and Liam didn’t ask more questions because they knew my situation with my father. I really wanted to go talk to Ilena but the last bell rang and I needed to go to practice. “Come on let’s go!” I said in a voice full of nastiness. Ilena was dead to me not only dead to me but she was dead to.