Chapter 13

Author’s note: I listened to REALLY depressing music throughout most of this chapter so it’s more.... how do I put this? I mean it’s not depressing but it’s not as funny or very similar to the past chapters. But I hope you enjoy it all the same! Oh and by the way, I know this is shorter than usual but this seemed like a good length so I didn’t want to cram extra stuff in.

ENJOOOOY :)

*************************

NATE’S P.O.V

It was freakishly silent inside the car, Josh had his eyes closed but it was obvious from the way his fingers kept twitching, that he wasn’t asleep. Talia, who was in the backseat, was playing a game on her phone with a silly grin on her face.

It was weird to think that she was the same girl that had been sobbing in mine and Josh’s arms almost fifteen minutes ago, she seemed so happy now.

I leaned back in my seat, keeping my eyes fixated on the mirror  so I could see Talia.

Dylan’s party had been a lot more exciting than I had expected. I hadn’t expected to almost kiss Talia, I hadn’t expected to get in a fight with her boyfriend and I certainly hadn’t expected to see her cry.

It was weird seeing her cry like that.

It was weird seeing the new Talia cry like that.

 Sure the old Talia would have cried herself through four boxes of tissues over the littlest thing, but the new Talia, she didn’t cry. Because she was strong. That was something that I'd realised as soon as I met the new Talia, she was stronger, but tonight, there she was. The old Talia. The same Talia that had cried for days after I told her I was leaving. The same Talia that used to be my best friend.

I glanced at her in the mirror again, she was still grinning like a five year old, but her eyes were still red and her mascara was still smudged, evidence that she had been crying that night.

Evidence that she wasn’t as strong as she'd been pretending.

If I climbed into the backseat and wrapped my arms around her, would she push me away? Probably. Or she would punch me in the face. The latter was more likely.

“She still hasn’t replied or answered my calls,” Josh said suddenly, snapping my out of my train of thought.

“What?” I asked, frowning.

“Sophie. I texted her and I called her but she won’t pick up her phone and she hasn’t replied to my texts.”

I finally realised what he was talking about. We were waiting for Sophie since we were her ride home.

“Can’t we just go inside and look for her?” I raised an eyebrow.

“What do we do with her?” Josh nodded at Talia who was giggling to herself.

“Leave her in the car,” I shrugged, “We’ll only be a few minutes.”

He frowned, “Are you sure?”

“C’mon, she’ll be fine. She’s not even that drunk!”

Josh considered it for a moment before shrugging and getting out the car, “Be a good girl, Talia,” he said before slamming the door shut.

Talia looked up and gave Josh a short nod, letting us know that she had heard him before she turned her attention back to her phone.

I began walking towards Dylan’s house, a few seconds later when I didn’t hear Josh behind me I turned around to find him still standing by the car.