Chapter 17

NATE'S POV

"So you're saying the bear just walked away?" Josh asked for millionth time, frowning at me from where he sat on the couch opposite.

It had been two days since the great bear attack and Josh still couldn't get over it. After the bear wandered off I had immediately woken up the others. Talia, who was pretty shaken by the whole thing, had sat on a tree stump with her head between her knees taking long deep breaths. Dylan and Sophie had both believed me and made us leave immediately, Josh on the other hand had been sceptical and still was.

"Yes, that's exactly what we're saying because that's exactly what happened," Talia snapped, clearly annoyed.

Josh, Sophie, Dylan, Talia and I were all currently sitting in the front room, we'd put on a movie but everyone had lost interest fast so we were just talking instead. Talia and Sophie were both sat cross legged on the floor, Josh on the couch in front of me and Dylan next to me on the other couch.

"Wait," Dylan began, frowning at Talia and I. "You guys didn't make up the bear attack to go home early... did you?"

Talia snorted. "I wanted to leave, but I didn't want to leave that bad. Besides, if I was going to make up a lie then it would've been a lot better than a bear attack."

"It doesn't make sense though," Josh whined. "People camp in that forest all the time, surely someone else must've known if there were bears?"

I shrugged. "All I know is that there was a fucking huge bear and it was fucking scary. If we hadn't left when we did then we probably would've been eaten alive. You should be thankful, we basically saved your life!"

"Oh please, I can save my own life," Josh rolled his eyes and scoffed.

"I still don't get how you got rid of it?" Sophie questioned, looking at Talia and frowning. "How do monkey noises scare a bear away?"

Talia simply shrugged in response, "I don't know, don't ask me. Nate was the one that made me do it!"

All eyes turned to me in confusion.

"I read once that noise usually scares them away. This freak," I pointed at Talia, "was the one that decided to make monkey noises."

Talia glared at me, picking up a cushion and hurling it in my direction. I ducked quickly and sighed in relief when it missed me. That girl had got to stop throwing stuff before one of us ends up in hospital again.

"The point is," Talia began, "Nate and I scared a bear away and you guys did nothing so shut up."

The others rolled their eyes but agreed, not wanting to push her buttons and anger her any further.

We lapsed into comfortable silence for a few minutes before the silence was interrupted by the sound of Dylan's phone. He glanced down at the screen in confusion before a smile broke out onto his face.

"Guys?" He grinned at us.

"What?" Josh looked at him warily.

"How do you feel about going to a carnival?" (A/N: In England we call it a funfair but I wasn't sure what they called it in America so I googled it and apparently you call it a carnival? For us, carnivals are slightly different and I'm still not 100% sure so please comment and let me know if you're American!)

Sophie immediately squealed. "Will there be cotton candy? Oh my gosh and a Ferris wheel?!"

"There's both!" Dylan cried. "It's only about half an hour away, some of my friends are there and asked me to come. We should all go, it'll be fun."