Chapter 5

Authors note: Guess what? I uploaded! AGAIN! Thats like twice in a week. And I've got exams and everything. I'm so on a role.

Here ya go! :)

*********************************

TALIA’S POV

I sat in the car, glaring out the window.

Nate was back.

Nate Thompson was back.

Why the hell did he have to come back?

What did he plan to do this time?

Leave again without telling your best friend, or break my heart like he had the first time?

Not that I would let him.

Not this time anyway.

I sighed, running a hand through my tangled hair, what was his problem? Did he not get that he was not wanted?

I let out a growl of frustration and lifted up my hand, ready to throw his keys out of the window before I paused, grinning. See, Nate, as smart as he was, really could be stupid at times. Did he not get the importance of looking after his car keys?

I smirked smugly and put in the keys, just as Nate walked out of his house. I grinned and opened my mouth, shouting, “See you at school, sucker!” I winked at him and quickly pressed my foot down on the accelerator, speeding away.

Almost a second later, I burst out laughing, picturing his face from when I had driven off. Now that was what I called revenge.

I looked into the rearview mirror, checking that I hadn’t ran anyone over, when I noticed someone running after the car. The grin immediately fell off my face when I realized who it was.

Nate.

Nate was actually running after the car, like he thought he could actually go faster than a car.

I pressed my foot down harder and the speed of the car automatically increased as I made my way over to the school.

It wasn’t like I was stealing his car; I’d just give it back to him when he got to school, since he was so insistent that the both of us went to school instead of skipping like I had planned to. 

Since when was Nate the goody-goody, I wondered. When we were younger, he would always be the one to tease me if I didn’t do something bad and now, here we were, two years later, with me as the rebel and him as the good guy. Except the only difference was that this time, we weren’t friends, this time, he was my worst enemy. 

A few minutes later, I pulled up inside the school car park, glancing at my watch to see that I was already twenty minutes late. I sighed. If I had another run in with the principal, then I’d be in a lot of trouble. I silently prayed that he would be too busy welcoming new students and giving speeches to care about me. If I were lucky, then the only person I would have to handle would be the school secretary, who adored me; so I knew I’d be fine.

I got out of the car and locked it, looking around to see if Nate was anywhere in sight, before smiling smugly when I noticed he wasn’t there. 

Skipping into the school office, I noticed Mrs. Brown, the school secretary at the front desk. Mrs. Brown was in her late forties, with graying hair and a kind smile. After spending hours sitting in the office with her, waiting to be told off by the principal for whatever it was I had done, I had gotten to know her pretty well. She had no kids of her own, so she was quite fond of her job and of me.

“Hey, Mrs. Brown!” I shouted, grinning at her as I skipped in.

“Talia,” Mrs. Brown said, smiling as she looked up from the computer, “nice to see you finally showed up.”