Chapter 6

NATE'S POV

"You know, you've changed, Talia," I said, standing up. "A lot."

I shook my head, walking out the cafeteria, with my fists clenched.

What was wrong with me? I thought, as I leaned against the wall, letting out a deep breath and unclenching my fists. What was wrong with her? Her boyfriend was a drug dealer, for crying out loud! And her friends looked like they were vampires with piercings and dyed hair! They didn't even smile?!

This was not Talia. This wasn't the way I had left her.

The doors I had come out of suddenly flew open and Talia came through came through them. "What is your problem?" she cried.

"My problem?!" I exclaimed. "I don't have a problem."

"Yes, you do! What is your problem?"

"My problem?! What is your problem? You're the one with the drug dealer boyfriend and the freaking scary friends!"

"Oh, well, sorry, Mr. Perfect. We can't all have perfect lives like you!"

"Perfect?" I yelled, "I am definitely not perfect!" What the hell was she talking about? I was not perfect, and she was saying she hated me because I was perfect. What kind of idiotic reason was that?

"Really," Talia said, laughing, "because I'm not the one that everyone loves; the one with the annoying British accent and that stupid smile, with those annoyingly fucking white teeth!" she shouted, throwing her arms up in the air.

I raised an eyebrow, she was mad at me because I had an accent and white teeth. Was she completely demented? "Oh, I'm sorry, do my teeth bug you? Is the presence of my perfect teeth getting on your nerves?" I asked, sarcasm oozing from my words.

"No, they don't bug me! You bug me!" she hissed, jabbing a finger at my chest, "You and your perfectness bug the hell out of me! Your perfect life, your perfect family, and your perfect friends!"

"Really?! Because right now, you're the only friend that I have here, and you've been in jail, you're smoking weed, your boyfriends a drug dealer, and your friends looked liked they stepped out of Twilight!"

Talia took a step closer to me so that our chests were pressed against each other. She looked up at me, her eyes narrowed, as she spat out her words, "Call me your friend again, and I swear you'll regret it."

"Talia, do you want to hurt your friend's feelings?" I asked, smirking.

"Shut up," she hissed, turning around and storming back inside the cafeteria.

"Make me!" I shouted, scowling.

****************************

When I got home from school, Josh was already there, sprawled out on the couch, watching T.V. I collapsed on the couch next to him, sighing.

"Aren't you supposed to be at college?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I only had morning classes so I'm at home with you, great or what?"

"Great," I said sarcastically.

"How was school?" he asked, not looking away from the T.V. screen.

"Bad," I replied, thinking back to my argument with Talia at lunch.

Josh turned to me and raised an eyebrow. "Why?" he asked.

"Talia," I replied.

"What?" he frowned. "Why?"