Chapter 18

TALIA'S POV

"How do I look?" Josh asked, fixing his tie for the millionth time as he looked at us.

"You look fine, now stop asking," Nate groaned, falling back into Josh's bed and making it wobble. Ah waterbeds, such annoying things they were.

The three of us were currently all in Josh's bedroom, a place I hadn't been particularly excited to return to,  looking at outfit options for his date with Sophie. He'd made us start helping him two hours early and after an hour all we'd successfully managed to decide on was a tie. It was almost worse than watching Sophie get ready.

Ever since the two of them had kissed at the carnival, it had become pretty clear that they really did like each other. So, after plenty of encouragement from me and Nate, Josh finally decided to man up and ask her out on a date. It was kind of cute really, especially since Josh was actually trying really hard to impress her.

"But what if she doesn't like these shoes with this suit?" Josh cried.

"Josh, did you really have to pick the nicest restaurant in town to take her to?" I asked, looking up the Rubik's cube I was playing with.  "I don't understand why you don't just take her to a movie and buy her some McDonalds. Sophie wouldn't care."

Nate shifted, making the bed wobble again as he turned to face me. "Is that your ideal date too? A few hours in the dark followed by a squashed burger?"

I rolled my eyes, shoving him in an attempt to get him off the bed. "Well, no, I'd appreciate something a little more thoughtful. But the McDonalds bit doesn't sound half bad. I'd prefer a squashed burger over whatever ridiculously expensive salad Josh is planning on having."

"You know what?" Josh huffed,  "You two are no help whatsoever. I'm a college man now, therefore I'm meant to do classy shit like this. Besides, I know a guy that works there so I'll be getting a rather large discount on that rather expensive salad you were talking about."

"Cheap and self obsessed, he's definitely a keeper," I mumbled to myself, getting annoyed with the Rubik's cube and throwing it down on the bed.

"I am not self obsessed!" Josh objected, before turning back to the mirror, "Is my hair okay though?"

Nate and I immediately burst out laughing, shaking our heads at his stupid question.

"Josh, I think you've just proven Talia's point," Nate pointed out.

"Yeah, so? I have every right to be concerned about my hair!" Josh snapped, glaring at us.

Nate rolled his eyes. "Alright sorry princess, your hair looks wonderful."

"Now, go get your prince before the clock strikes midnight and you turn ugly again," I gestured to the clock on his bedside table. He wasn't late yet, but if he didn't leave seen then he would be.

"You're getting the fairytales all muddled up," Josh let out an overdramatic sigh of annoyance. "And I'm Sophie's prince, not her bloody princess."

"Whatever Cinderella, just go!" I threw his car keys at him and Nate slipped his wallet into the pocket of his blazer.

"Don't fuck it up," Nate grinned and gave him a thump on the back which I assumed was meant to be encouraging.

Josh then turned to me expectantly, "Got any words of wisdom Talz?"

"Sophie's allergic to cucumbers, she won't eat anything that came from the sea, she likes almost all red food and she won't order dessert but secretly she'll really want some chocolate cake so you better order her that fucking chocolate cake," I paused, "Got it?"