Chapter 3

TALIA'S POV

My phone buzzed. I opened one eye and picked it up. "Hello?" I mumbled sleepily. Who was calling me now; did they not understand the importance of sleep after a night in jail?

"TALIA!" Sophie's voice shouted from the other end of the line, making me wince. Why was she so energetic, didn't she spend the night in the same conditions I had? I silently prayed that she was high on caffeine and not anything else.

"Sophie? What?" I grumbled.

"Nice to speak to you too," she said sarcastically. I could imagine her rolling her eyes and pouting on the other end of the line.

"Sorry, but I'm trying to sleep here. Spending the night in the slammer doesn't exactly help you catch up on your sleep, you know," I pointed out.

"Well the good news is: I got out a couple hours ago."

"You did? That's great!" I said, relieved.

In between arguing with my mom and trying to get some rest, I had completely forgotten about Sophie and the fact that she was still stuck there. I was a terrible friend, especially since we'd gotten into this mess together but at least she was out now. She didn't seem too bothered about it either.

"I know, so I'm planning on celebrating my release from jail, you in?" Sophie asked.

"You were only in there for like half a day and," I paused, grinning, "of course I'm in!" I replied. "What time?"

"I'll pick you up at nine. Be ready!" Sophie said, hanging up.

I put my phone down and checked the time; it was almost eight. I climbed out of bed and the moment I spotted myself in the mirror, I groaned. I was a complete mess; I still had my dress on which looked more like a torn up bin bag, I hadn't taken off my makeup so most of it had spread out all over my face, and my hair was sticking up at odd angles. I pulled a face at my appearance and headed straight for the shower, deciding that I was in desperate need of one.

Yawning, I undressed myself, glad to get away from the clothes I had worn last night, which I probably wouldn't ever be wearing again, judging by what state they were in. I climbed into the shower and twisted the faucet. Immediately, I felt the warm water washing over my body and I let out a sigh of relief, feeling cleaner and more awake.

About fifteen minutes later, I was out of the shower and standing in front of my wardrobe, dressing myself in a short red dress that came up to mid thigh and a cute black leather jacket over of the dress. I quickly did my makeup and checked the time, realizing that it was almost nine, meaning Sophie would be here in a few minutes.

I raced down the stairs, straight into my dad. "Where do you think you're going?" he asked.

"Out."

Crap, it was question time again.

"With?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Nobody."

"With who?" he asked again, raising his voice a little.

I sighed. "Sophie."

My dad shook his head. "You aren't going."

"Why not?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.

"For one thing, your mother told me that you were in jail last night for being in possession of drugs. How could you do such a thing?"

I rolled my eyes, were they ever going to let that go? I was in jail for one night for having weed; I didn't receive a life sentence for killing someone, did I?