Chapter 21

NATE'S POV

"You're going the wrong way."

I stopped what I was doing and looked up, glaring at Talia. "Do you want to try?"

"No," Talia snorted and went back to watching me with an amused look on her face.

Talia and I were currently stranded. Not stranded on a desert island or in the middle of the road, no, we were stranded in the middle of a lake. On a small rowing boat. And no matter how hard I tried, would not move in our desired direction.

When Josh had suggested the idea, I had been quite impressed. I thought it would be cute. Never, not once, did I stop to think that maybe I would actually have to put effort into rowing the boat around.

In all fairness, neither of us had ever rowed a boat before, but Talia insisted that since this was my idea I would have to deal with the consequences.

"Are we just going to keep going around in circles?" Talia cried, grabbing one of the oars and deciding to take charge.

"Well,  who knows? I think I just spend the last twenty minutes going around in triangles, so..."

"Haha, very funny. This is no time for shape jokes, okay? I am trying to help us get back to safety!"

"Which way are you even going?" I raised an eyebrow at her. If anyone could 'help us get back to safety' it certainly was not Talia. Was the word 'safety' even in her dictionary?

"That way," she gestured towards the left side of the lake, where we had just come from.

"But we're supposed to go that way!" I pointed to the right side of the lake. "That's where we're meant to have our picnic."

The picnic had been my own idea and I had to admit I was quite proud of it. I didn't exactly see myself as particularly creative or romantic, but lately I was really beginning to think outside the box. But then again, trying to win over Talia meant thinking way way further outside the box.

"You want me to row the boat all the way over there?!" Talia's eyes widened in horror as she glanced at the direction I was pointing in. "No way."

"Well either you do it or I will," I shrugged, taking the oar off her. There was no way I was letting her ruin my picnic idea, I had put about thirty minutes worth of thought into that idea.

She snorted in disbelief. "As if you'll be able to do it anyway."

"I can totally do it! I got us this far didn't I?"

Talia had not helped in the slightest in the two hours we had been here, all she had done was laugh and attempt to get signal on her phone. Multiply times she had almost fallen in and a few times she'd even threatened to drown me.

Ah, such fun we were having.

"And look how long that took you," she rolled her eyes and tapped her watch for emphasis. "I'm just trying to be realistic here Nate."

"No, you're just trying to ruin the date."

Her eyes immediately narrowed and she leaned forward. "Listen here, kiddo. I am tired. I am hungry. And in case you've forgotten, I am on my period. I do not have the patience to spend another few hours bleeding out of my lady parts while rowing a boat around a large puddle of muddy water."

"It's not  a large puddle, it's a lake," I corrected, immediately regretting it when she glared at me.

"Can I at least eat some food?" Talia gestured to the picnic basket by feet.

"No," I insisted, shaking my head. "You have to wait till we get there."

"This is stupid."

"You're stupid."