Next time

The two crawled onto the roof of the three floor building as katara panted falling on her back with wide blue eyes as the boy looked over the edge of the building as Oscar was leaving the alleyway glaring up at them.

"I'm going to take a wild guess and say your new around here," the boy spun to Katara as she stood back up.

"Is it that obvious?" She smiled awkwardly. The boy had a dirty orange hoodie with grey jeans as he had a blue hat over his messy brown hair with big grey eyes staring at her amused. He must've been homeless too yet he looked so full of life.

"Oh yea, you don't know the nooks and crannies around here, Oscar is a big no no, but he hates heights with every once of heroine in his body," the boy smiled playfully and Katara smiled a little.

"Thanks, for saving me and all," Katara let out a soft breath as she relaxed a little.

"No problem, I was getting breakfast over here anyways," he shrugged sitting on the ledge. Katara could see no fear in his eyes as he seemed free and happy. She envied that.

"Oscar usually sniffs out the newbies around here but you should stay away from east side of town, west isn't to bad, lot of hippies over there and good dumpsters," he laughed a little childishly as katara walked over curiously.

"I don't know how long I'll be around here," Katara crossed her arms a little as her finger tips found the ends of her new length hair and twirled it anxiously.

"Run away?" He asked looking up at her. She shrugged not wanting to say much.

"We all run from something, you should be more careful though, pretty faces get taken down first," the boy pursed his lips and Katara smiled at the younger boy.

"Pretty faces?" She teased.

"I-I mean your obviously a pretty girl, natural beauty, I-I mean-" the boy cut himself off blushed madly as katara laughed at him softly.

"I'm just messing with you, I probably should get going though, thanks again," Katara walked over to the latter as the boy got to his feet again.

"Wait where are you going?" He asked confused.

"Don't know yet, still figuring it out," Katara called back up as she was climbing down.

"What's your name?" He called.

"What's yours?" Katara smiled up at him and the young boy blushed smiling down at her.

"I'll tell you next time," he cackled a little as Katara jumped back on the ground and walked into the open crowd of New York where the young boy lost her.

He blushed softly with a smile as he tried to watch her in the crowd but the strange new girl was lost. He covered his mouth to hold in a laugh. His friends are going to love hearing about the new girl in town.

He ran across the roof and slid down a ladder back to the ground to find his friends. Running with ease.

"Hey! Guys! Guess what!" The boy beamed brightly at three other teens at a park bench hanging out.

——

Katara walked into a cvs store as she wanted to find Tylenol as her head was aching a little from when 'oscar' slammed her against the wall.

She could feel employee eyes on her as a man in a polo seemed to be following her a little. With his clip board and eyeing her everytime she went to reach out for something. Katara rolled her eyes as she checked the prices on Tylenol, cheaper was better was what sokka always said.

"Whatcha got in the bag?" The manager walked over and Katara jumped at the sudden presence as she dropped the box of pain killers.

"Why is everyone obsessed with the bag? I got it at target if your interested," Katara rolled her eyes picking it up.

"I don't need you or your friends to keep stealing from my store," he snarked and Katara frown.

"I don't have friends, leave me alone," Katara waved him off and grabbed simple pain killers and Tylenol and walked away.

"You have to pay for that," he grabbed her arm.

"Yea I know, cashier I'm down the isle you jerk," Katara glared up at him and reached into her bra with no shame and pulled out the cash as she walked away making eye contact the whole time.

One day on the streets and everyone is suddenly onto her, her hair wasn't even greasy enough, and her clothes weren't dirty enough.

She paid the money as long as it was under 20 bucks and stuck the paid items in her bag along with the receipt looking at the manager as she pulled it over her shoulders again and walked out of the cvs store annoyed.

Maybe she should call jet, maybe she couldn't do this whole thing, Jet would tell her what she did was stupid and to never do it again but then it would be back to normal...

No. No that's why she left, because of jet.

There was no way she was going back.

She was ready to start a new life independently, she could just start by finding a safe place to stay. Her grandmother could take her in till Sokka was done with college. Till she was 18 and she could buy her own apartment away from jet. But she was terrified of him going out of his way to find her, he was so controlling he wouldn't let her go.

Katara let out a sigh and grabbed her Tylenol to and had a spare water in her backpack to drink. Her stomach rumbled in hunger, she could stop somewhere with the change to get some food, but she couldn't do that forever, she'd had to be smart with her money.

Just get somewhere safe. She had to find shelter before the sun set again.