Rats

A two year old boy rested against his mothers side as she played the piano while he watched. His legs dangling from the bench and listened to the music, surrounded by his mothers warmth and scent.

His mother was nine months pregnant with his sister but she assured him she would still love him even with another baby. So they enjoyed the last few days with each other as the toddler barely was a foot away from his mother.

"Do you know what song this is Zuko?" A kind soft voice hummed to the child.

"Is it the sleeping beauty song?" The toddler guessed and she kissed the top of his head.

"Very good, as soon as you can reach the keys I'll teach you so you can play for me and your sister," his mother smiled and played a new song. One he didn't recognize.

"This one is called fly me to the moon, it's a beautiful song," she told him as her baby was quiet listening. His small hands wrapped around her arm and pressed his ear to her skin.

They heard the boys father raging outside the large lounge that had the master piano with a bookshelf of music to be read. A vintage record player in the corner.

The man was screaming and throwing things but zukos mother continued to play the piano and almost tried to play it louder for them to only hear.

"He's going to come in here mama," the two year old whimpered hanging onto her tighter. She stopped playing and set a hand on her pregnant belly.

"It's okay Zuko, it'll be okay," she whispered pulling him in her lap and rocked the toddler for comfort.

Lee hummed a familiar tune as he walked down the street with Aang following behind as he walked slower to window shop.

"Hey Z, do you think we could save enough money to share a phone? I think it could help find a place out of here," Aang skipped to him as lee waited for him.

"Probably be smart, I could possibly get in touch with iroh and he could put an apartment in his name and we'll pay, but I wanna start a savings at a bank," Lee agreed and Aang punched the air excited.

"We could even get real jobs then!" He bounced in front of his best friend but accidentally bumped into someone and papers went flying.

"What the hell man?" The boy Aang hit snarled back. Lee pulled Aang back so there was distance and started to help collect the papers.

"We didn't see you sorry," Lee told him calmly as the other boy cussed under his breath.

"It's fine it's fine, thanks for helping," the boy sighed but lee paused seeing the papers.

A missing person poster.

Katara Clearwater
Age:16
Hair: brown
Eye color: blue
Height: 5'5

"Friend of yours?" Lee handed a hand full of papers to the boy that seemed his age.

"My girlfriend, I think she got kidnapped last week, her car was found with broken windows and nothing stolen," the teen kept his green eyes down looking at the picture of Katara with someone cropped out on the side. Her hair was long and she looked preppy.

"That's fucked up, girls get snatched up left and right it seems like," Lee tsked disappointed.

"Mind if I keep one? I'll show my pals," he asked and handed one to Aang anyways.

"Shit," Aang gasped seeing the poster forced in his hands.

"Some girl at my school went missing too recently," the younger boy folded it up and put it in his pocket.

"Think it's the same person that took my girl?" He asked the two runaways.

"I hope not, my mom keeps telling my older sister bout keeping her taser on her after work and all," Lee shrugged.

"Well my number is on the bottom if you hear anything, my names Jet," the other teen told them worried.

Lee offered his hand to shake as his gold eyes locked with the olive green ones.

"I hope you find her soon, there's some pretty evil people out there," Lee shook his hand.

"Me too, it's tragic," Jet gave a firm shake nodding.

They parted ways as Aang followed lee confused what was going to happen.

"Lee-" "keep fucking walking," he cut off the younger boy with his fists clenched.

Aang shut up and kept walking while his friend lit a cigarette.

"If he comes after kat, beat him till he can't remember his fucking name," lee hissed shaking his head.

Aang glared back seeing Jet walking away from them, he's an abuser, he forced kat to the streets.

"You got it Z," Aang scoffed.

"What do we do with kat then? Can't hide her away," he asked while they walked.

"We tell her, she's apart of this now, she gets a choice, we need to find Suki and Ty Lee, make sure people keep their mouths shut," Lee said bitterly narrowing his eyes.

"He touches her, he's dead,"

"Oi," Lee called seeing Suki and Katara hanging in the hide out together, talking to ty Lee.

"Hey your back," Ty Lee waved and Aang ran to hug her.

"Stop leaving for so long," Aang whined to his friend.

"What did I miss?" Ty Lee giggled hugging him back.

"Aang, give it to kat," Lee crossed his arms and the youngest handed the newest member a folded piece of paper.

"What kind of last name is Clearwater?" Lee asked as Katara opened the paper wide eyes.

"W-what? Where did you get this?" Katara whispered fearful.

"Jet," he said and tears filled her eyes.

"Don't make me go back, don't tell him please, Lee I'm begging you don't make me go to him," Katara got up as she had her hands together and begged.

"He thinks you got kidnapped, not runaway," Lee told her looking away.

"Don't tell him please," Katara had a tear fall down her cheek.

"I'd never rat out one of my own, I don't do that kat," Lee placed his hand on her head.

"Thank you," Katara threw her arms around him with a small cry of relief.

"Do you think my family knows then?" She whispered afraid still as lee wasn't sure what to do with the embrace.

"Uh probably," he mumbled peeling her off of him and saw tears on her face still.

"But we'll figure it out, all of us, we have your back," Lee wiped a tear off her cheek and patted her shoulder.

"His names Jet?" Ty Lee looked at the poster.

"He ain't getting near my girl," she smirked and hugged Katara tightly.