Behind bars

"I can't believe we all went to jail," Jet mumbled as he was in a cell with Sokka and Zuko while Katara was across the hall alone in her cell.

"Shut up! This is your fault!" Katara snapped gripping the bars.

"My fault?! It's your fault for running away!" Jet yelled back. Sokka stood against the wall as Zuko was on the bench with his knees up to his chest.

"You called the police!" She scoffed.

"What was I suppose to do? For all I knew-" "oh my hero, saving me from the bad delinquents on the street," Katara cut him off as Jet glared.

"It was only a week, I barely got to live my life without you suffocating and stealing any air I dared to breathe, I couldn't even cook my own dinner without you  breathing down my neck!" She tilted her head to the side.

"You could've been dead," Sokka cut in finally.

"It only takes a second to get killed," he sighed and Katara pursed her lips.

"I know, it was selfish, Im selfish I know, I'm sorry Sokka, I should've never put you or dad through that," she looked at her brother sadly.

"Dad called me when I heard you went missing, he cried because he wasn't there again, Katara he cried," Sokka started to get worked up again as he went to the door to fade her.

"I'm sorry," Katara whispered.

"What do you have to say for yourself? You kept her," Jet looked back at Zuko.

"Huh?" Zuko didn't hear anything they were arguing about.

"What do you have to say for yourself?" Jet repeated.

"Not guilty your honor," he rolled his eyes.

"No not over that! Run away rookie over there," Jet pointed over at her and Katara flipped him off.

"It happens? I don't judge peoples reasons, we get new homeless teens every other day," Zuko pulled his hood up and places a hand on the back of his head.

"I need my call," he closed his eyes.

"Gonna call your mom or something?" Jet snorted.

"My uncle, I need to call my uncle," Zuko whispered.

"Zuko?" Katara called softly.

"Hmm?" He looked at her. She's never seen him afraid before.

"Is your dad coming to get you?" She asked.

He clenched his fist and nodded.

"I don't want to die yet, I want to go home," Zuko felt his chest tighten.

Zuko was quiet, no one knew what to say, they all met him when he was confident and strong, he was able to fight back, he was tough, ready for the worst to happen but now he was curled against the wall with his hood up. Looking like the child he still is.

"Zuko," a dark voice called entering the room. No one heard the door open, the voice startled them all.

Zukos eyes widen as he trembled in his seat. Keeping his head down.

A tall built man walked in with his long hair pulled back in a low ponytail, he had sharp golden eyes and looked like he never showed joy or love.

"Stand up son, youre coming home," he grinned a little standing in front of the cell full of boys.

Zuko didn't move.

"Stand up boy," the man snapped losing his grin.

Sokka and Jet looked at him wide eyes feeling the fear of the man sink into their bones, but Zuko stood up, Ozai took out keys from his pocket and unlocked the cell. Zuko walked out still not saying a word.

Ozai took off zukos hood and immediately slapped him across the face making an echo throughout the silent rooms. Jet backed away, Katara and Sokka covered their mouths shocked.

"You at least couldve had the dignity to run to japan again to stay with your lazy uncle, not sleep in the dirt like the rats, an embarrassment, pathetic," he grabbed zukos hair to make him look up.

"I'm sorry sir," Zuko whispered calmly. Ozai gripped him tighter in rage and slapped him again with his other hand.

"Hey don't hit him!" Katara snarled.

Ozai looked back at her darkly and harshly released his son. Zuko stumbled back a little with a gasp.

"Your sisters waiting outside, she asked how your little bald friends doing?" Ozai raised a brow watching Kataras reaction knowing who he was talking about.

"I swear if Azula hurts him again-" "you'll what? Cower in his blood again?" Ozai barked a laugh.

"Don't you fucking go after him," Zuko warned but was met with another slap to his face.

"Don't You fucking threaten me, let's go," Ozai shoved him forward as they started to walk.

"Zuko wait!" Katara shook the cell bars frantically. He didn't look back, he ignored her cries.

"Fuck!" She screamed when he was gone.

"Someone let me out! Let me out!" Katara yelled at the top of her lungs.

"Katara he's gone, stop," Jet sighed shaking his head.

Katara snapped her jaw shut and stared at him darkly. She inhaled a deep breaths and sat back on the bench. Zuko ran away from home, an abusive home, if his dad hit him in front of strangers in a police station what did he do at home? Her hands shook as she clasped them together in her lap. She selfishly ran away because of a boyfriend... and he never made fun of her for how ridiculous it was.

"Hey kids your bailed out too," a cop came in the room but there was suddenly yelling and a dozen cop ran out the back.

The one that came in to let them out dropped the keys shocked and ran out as well. Commands were being yelled but it didn't make sense with how many people were yelling over each other.

"Hey you can't just leave us!" Jet yelled as Katara laid on the floor to reach for the keys that the cop dropped. She grinned when she grabbed it and went to unlock her cell.

"I'm sorry I've caused so much trouble for you Sokka, I'll come home soon but not right now," Katara told her brother as she set the keys on the ground again and tied her short hair back.

"What? Katara don't go are you crazy?" Sokka was baffled but she ran out as well.

"Katara!? Let us out!" Sokka yelled after her.

Katara ran out of the police station looking around and saw zukos father screaming at the guy that arrested Zuko before. There was a cut on his lip and bruise on his jaw but Zuko was gone.

"Send every officer you have you pathetic excuse of a cop! Get that fucking kid!" Ozai roared at zhao as he gripped his shirt and shook the man.

Katara ran past them as zhao and Ozai were surprised seeing her out of the cell.

"Hey wait!" Zhao yelled as Ozai let go of him.

"Eat shit pigs!" Katara screamed back as she ran faster than the adults. Running across the street barely missing the cars that came to a screeching stop before she was hit. She had to find Zuko.