New girl in town

Roads where busy but not stop and go traffic yet. Katara walked down the streets looking around for a place to sleep. After the bus she had to keep walking, she walked around the same block mindlessly as she didn't realized it was only a four block circle after seeing the same restaurant the third time.

She had no plan really, Katara realized that her third time around, she just had to go somewhere. What if that boy from a week or so ago would help her? She could leave the state? Or even run away to her gran gran, then sokka and her dad wouldn't be worried.

If they noticed.

Her phone was turned off as she took off most of the apps on her I phone, turned off her tracker, deleted anything that jet or the cops could possibly use, only way they could track her would be if she used her phone to call someone. But she wouldn't, she wouldn't call Jet.

He was probably blowing up her phone, texting and calling, threatening and begging, more threatening. But they'd only find her car broken and hopefully think of the worst.

There'd be missing posters soon... but she's never cut her hair this short, she wouldn't look like her self soon enough, no showers, no food even if she stays homeless. It could be for the best.

That boy, she's only seen parts of him, he hung out in the alley way or against the wall talking to friends, she's seen a girl or two with him and a short younger boy the last time she saw him, in front of a coffee shop late in the night as the shadows covered half his figure. It was from a distance but they made eye contact for a moment, he glanced at Jet and remembered the first time seeing the couple. She remembered his gold eyes locking with her ocean blue ones.

"I see the way he treats you," echoed in her head. Only for her to hear.

He knew what no one believed, he'd help her. All she had to do is not get caught.

She saw him in Manhattan area, he must've been one of those runaway teen seeing the way he wore dirt covered jeans that must've been blue at some point, a worn out black zip up hoodie and a red shirt under as it had a few ripped holes at the bottom around the waist.

The girl he was with and the younger boy were too it looked like, or they where a gang. Please don't be a gang. Or a pimp.

Katara walked down an alley as she saw a dumpster with bags around it, it seemed empty and boring enough for her to get a little shut eye.

She could smell the garbage from the side walk and pulled up her hood again as she walked to the building as she hid behind the dumpster as she slid down the wall. Exhaustion washed over Katara as it's probably been 20 hours since she's been up, getting up at 7 to start the day, when really she hated sharing the bed with Jet, his smell, his hot breath on her skin, his touch. She just slept less and less.

But it smelt nothing like jet. She could sleep maybe with more comfort with garbage than the human garbage.

Katara sighed holding her bag to her chest as she pulled her knees to lock it against her body and arms wrapped around the bag, letting her eyes drift close.

Katara gasped awake and tensing up as she heard something in the alleyway as she looked at her phone seeing it's only 7:48 a.m., only two hours of sleep. Damn.

She rubbed her face and looked down the alley as she saw a figure leaning against the dirty brick wall of the building. She narrowed her eyes in hope it was boy but she saw a scrawny man who looked hungry as his grey beard seemed crusty as his hair was greasy. His dark brown eyes landed on her. She saw him drop a needle. Oh shit.

Katara got to her feet as she slung her backpack around her back as the man grunted at her.

"Hey little girl," he called. "You ain't from 'round here are ya?" He slurred.

Katara ignored him as she walked toward the streets of New York, he wouldn't follow her.

But a strong skinny hand grabbed her and pulled her back into the alleyway as she almost hit the light of the morning sun. She gasped falling back but her feet caught her.

"Whatcha got in the bag sweetheart?" The dirty man held her arm tightly as Katara glared.

"Nothing that you'd really want," Katara yanked her arm back as she backed away from him.

"Oh you'll always have something I want," he smirked pressing her against the wall as his hands snakes towards her backpack. Katara tried to fight him off but for how much taller he was than her as he was able to keep her still trying to get inside her backpack.

Suddenly a small body crashed into the homeless prick and they fell.

"Come on!" A young boy grabbed her hand and pulled her away. 

Katara looked behind her as the older man was stumbling after them as he seemed out raged and vengeful.

The boy let go of her hand but they kept running away. Katara couldn't help but look back again but looked ahead to not crash into anything but the boy was gone.

"You gotta hurry!" She heard above her and saw the boy on a fire escape ladder to go to the roof tops. He offered his hand again and Katara jumped up to grab the ladder just as the prick grabbed the ankle of her jeans but let go when she started to climb.

"You won't get away that easy you skank!" The homeless man called.

"Go away Oscar!" The short boy called down and they kept climbing.