39.0

"Just give him some time. From what Niall tells me, Louis' been through a lot and he just needs some time to decide whether or not he can trust you," Ed explained to Harry.

Harry was scrubbing down the kitchen counters, making sure there wasn't a speck of dirt anywhere to be found, "yeah, but what if it's not okay. What if I can't help him, Ed?"

"Would you just calm down and stop cleaning? I'm fairly certain that counter has been wiped down three consecutive times."

"I can't help it you know how I get when I'm nervous."

"Yeah, you turn into freaking Cinderella on steroids."

Harry threw the cloth he was using into the sink and leaned against the fridge, "ha ha. I'm a complete mess right now and you're making fun of me," Harry ran his fingers through his hair, "what the hell am I going to do, Ed?"

Ed walked over to the fridge and waited for Harry to move so he could open the door and grab a Coke, "you'll be fine. Just be supportive and don't push him. When he tells you, you'll know what do to. It's one of those things that you can't prepare for."

Harry really hoped that Ed was right. He hoped that he would know what to do and he wouldn't freeze up or walk out without saying anything. He can't do that again, he can't repeat what happened before Louis. What happened before Louis--before the life he's living now--wasn't pretty. It was difficult and he hated it. He never wanted to go back to that.

Never.

So Harry simply nodded and tried to focus on the movie Ed had popped in later that night. He tried to sleep that night, but he found it difficult when the only thing he could think about was Louis. He stayed up late grading students' work and watching re-runs of Criminal Minds. He sipped on three glasses of warm milk to try to make him sleepy. Nothing seemed to help him.

He was thankful the following morning was Sunday instead of Monday otherwise his students would have seen the other side of him: the sleep deprived, zombie-like Mr. Styles that no one would ever want to come across. He woke up at noon, after falling asleep at five in the morning, to the familiar sound of his phone ringing.

He smiled tiredly when he read that it was Louis, "hey?"

"Hey, Harry. Uhm...I-I was wondering if you'd like to hang out tonight. I-I would really like to talk with you and, you know, just be with you. But that's only if you want, I won't just stop by without your permission," Louis rambled and, goodness, did Harry find that to be one of the cutest things he could possibly do. 

"Y-yeah," Harry cleared his throat, "stop by. Please stop by. How about seven? Does seven work for you? You can come later or...or earlier. Whenever you want," Harry said, trying to leave Louis' options open.

"I'll come see you at seven. I love you," Louis said, waiting for Harry's reply.

"I love you, too, Louis."

Louis hung up on his end and fell onto his bed. He rubbed his face and tried to wipe away the salty tears that had been streaming down his face for the past hour.

Life was shit.

.

It was getting closer to seven and Harry had made sure everything was in order, thinking that the cleanliness of the apartment will come as a surprise for Louis. He also went out to buy some flowers and candles. He told Ed to stay out until after midnight so Louis and him could have their own time without rude interruptions.

Harry set the table and transferred the take out dinner into bowls from the cupboard. He wanted this night to be a good night. He wanted to be there for Louis. He wanted to hold him close and kiss him and just speak to him softly as he fell asleep. He wanted Louis safe.

Harry smiled as he opened the door. Louis stood there, exchanging the smile and immediately embracing Harry in a hug, "hi, I love you," Louis mumbled into Harry's shirt.

Harry chuckled, "I love you, too. So," he lead Louis towards the small dining table after shutting the door, "I have a dinner for us and flowers for you and candles to, uhm, make it smelly? I really don't know why candles are a thing, but I've got them and flowers and food and you and, god, I just want this to be a good night."

Louis blushed as he sat down and Harry sat on the opposite side of the table. He looked at Harry and admired all of the effort he had put into this night. Even though he could tell that Harry went out and bought the food instead of making it himself and had completely forgotten that Louis hated the smell of vanilla, he was grateful for all Harry did.

"I know how much you like mashed potatoes so just tell me how much you want," Harry said, about to pile a huge scoop of potatoes onto Louis' plate.

"Harry," Louis stopped him, "I...I think we should talk first. I just, if I don't tell you now, I'm not sure when I'll tell you."

This was it, Louis was going to tell Harry everything, and boy did his stomach flip. 

----

A.N. First of all, thank you so much for the lovely comments while I was away! I tried to respond to a few of them :) Thank you fo being such wonderful supporters too! I love you all! Longer chapters to come! (They may take a longer time to update, just letting you know) -M

DEDICATED TO: StrongxLarry for being such a wonderful commenter! ^-^

*Let's just honor the king of rock (Elvis Presley). I just love this song.*

PERSONAL-ISH QUESTION: Do you guys like camping?

STORY QUESTION: How do you think Harry will react to what Louis has to say?