CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

"They say a bond is capable of breaking anything, including spells placed upon both mates," Joan said. "If you would bear each other's mark, Dmitri could have easily searched your head for memories that would let him know exactly what happened in that cell."

Ludovica averted her gaze. "It's my fault."

"Stop always blaming yourself for everything." Dmitri shot her a smile. "No one expected this."

Her head began to throb. "I'm going to get some rest." Without another word, she headed to the room she had taken Dmitri to and lay on the bed. Dmitri walked in after she did, closing the door behind him.

"I thought—"

"I think it's obvious you weren't cursed to try to kill me." He inched closer and crouched in front of her, pushing a lock of hair behind her ear. "I had to make sure you're okay."

"I hate not being able to remember, but every time I try, my head hurts."

He kissed her. "Get some rest."

As she smiled, her eyelids became too heavy and she welcomed the darkness.

When her eyes fluttered open, she would have sworn only seconds had passed, but something told her she had slept for longer. Dmitri was no longer in the room. She heaved herself out of the bed and headed out of the room into the corridor.

A woman stood beside Dmitri at the center of the room. Everything had been moved out of the way. The woman glanced over her shoulder and smiled at Ludovica. "Good to see that you're Okay."

"Jocelyn is going to help Dmitri open a portal," Alfonso said.

Dmitri placed his hand against the wall, muttering something in a language that Ludovica didn't know. Jocelyn stood by his side, matching the speed of his voice.

Ludovica stood frozen, as the wall seemed to break like glass, revealing a circle of what seemed made up of crystal waters, rippling. Dmitri stumbled back, and as if her body had a mind of its own, she moved forward to catch him by the shoulders before he fell to the ground.

When she met his eyes, she was stunned to see that black lines spread from his neck, encircling it like vines. He took a deep breath. She felt a knot in her chest as she helped him regain balance.

"You can't do more magic. You need a long break. Dmitri, no warlock is capable of casting so many spells without draining his life source. I believe you're still alive because of your fae side," Jocelyn said, concern evident in her expression.

"I'm fine." Dmitri inched closer to the portal, then leaped through it.

Everyone's eyes were on Ludovica. "What?"

"If he keeps this up...he will be dead soon," Alfonso said. "You need to convince him to not use his magic again for a while."

"What am I supposed to do? Even if I ask him, he won't listen to me."

As Dimitri appeared through the portal, he held a small child in his arms. Then, Angie came through. When her gaze fell upon her parents, she ran to their arms, crying. Dmitri handed them the baby, who couldn't stop smiling at everyone.

Then everyone else began to come through the portal on by one. When Vanessa jumped out from the portal, she glanced around as if she was about to be ambushed by everyone present. At a soft growl coming from the room, everyone's gaze fell upon Alfonso who had his head low.

"Alpha? Is everything okay?"

Alfonso nodded at Alexander before raising his head, revealing the struggle of his eyes. They switched from amber to electric blue like an angry lightning storm.