Chapter Twelve

Warning: This still needs a little work, but it's good enough right now. Enjoy.

As the seconds ticked by, the agonizing burning sensation in her back finally began to subside. She had lain for about an hour on her bed, head resting on the soft pillows.

Part of her screamed at her to get up and find Dmitri to make sure that he was safe, but honestly, even if she wanted to, she doubted she could get up. She had to remain still until she recuperated from the laceration.

The bond to Dmitri couldn't be this powerful. It had been as if she too had been shot in the back. The image of Alfonso's pack dragging him away caused her heart to ache as a silent tear dribbled down her cheeks to the silky fabric of the pillow.

"You're awake." Caleb sat down beside her before running his fingers through her hair. His gaze fell upon the deep laceration and he smiled. "It's finally beginning to heal."

"Where did they take him?"

Something unreadable flickered in his eyes too fast for her to identify it. "To the cells. He was chained up to the walls."

Ludovica stared at her arms as she sat up, the many reddened marks finally making sense to her. Dmitri had been chained up with silver chains, which had to be not only burning his skin but also weakening him. They had been created by a warlock and no one could ever escape them. If Dmitri tried to break free, they would tighten to the point that his bones would begin to snap.

She shook her head, covering her face with her trembling hands. "Dmitri is so powerful, how did they manage to chain him up?"

"They waited until the chains were on to hand him the cure." He trailed his fingers over her cheekbone. "Do you feel anything for him?" She didn't answer him and dropped her gaze to her hands on her lap. "Ludovica, it doesn't matter if you were friends when you were children. He is our enemy."

"I know." She managed to stand and resented it when the world seemed to go round and round, making it difficult for her to not lose her footing. Caleb stood and held her forearm. "I need to ask him questions before Alfonso kills him."

"You don't understand. Ludovica, we have caught the Rogue Master."

Her eyes widened as realization hit her. "He plans to hand him over to the Queen and King?"

"Yes, they have already been contacted and their son is on the way to collect Dmitri."

Ludovica shook her head, covering her lips. "Caleb, please. He is my friend. I cannot let them kill him." She jerked her arm free and headed for the door, but he stood in her way.

"He has been responsible for the deaths of many of our allies...you can't save him from punishment."

Her body stopped shaking as she met his gaze. "They can't hurt him. If Walter kills him, I die as well."

"And that is what worries me. Walter is an assassin and kills any target given to him by his parents without a second thought. Just to bring down the Rogue Master, I doubt he will care about taking down a she-wolf along with him." He paused. "Besides, Orlando...he has sent out a group to track down a witch powerful enough to break the spell cast upon Dmitri and you."

Her hand went to one of the necklaces that hung from her neck and she realized it was the one Dmitri had given her. She tightened her fingers around it, trying to come up with a solution, but she had none. Once a witch was found, nothing would save Dmitri.

For now, she found solace in the fact that she had no wounds in her body, which indicated that Dmitri was not being tortured.

When the door of the room opened, Orlando walked into the room and beckoned Caleb to leave. As Caleb walked passed him, he whispered something Ludovica couldn't catch due to the damn effects of the shot still somewhat affecting her. Once Caleb left, Orlando closed the door.