CHAPTER NINETEEN

Caleb chuckled as he darted through the blooming forest. For an Omega, the fifteen-year-old boy had a speed that Ludovica found difficult to keep up with. However, she wasn't about to give up so easily. She pushed her legs to move faster and everything around her became a big blur.

She chuckled when she realized that she had not shorten the distance between them at all. He didn't stop running and whirled around, a smug look on his face. Now, he was running backward and didn't even freaking trip.

"Now, you're just showing off."

He smiled, showing off his white teeth. "Did you really believe I would go easy just cause you're the alpha's child?"

She held her chin high, smiling. "I would be insulted if you would do such thing." With a growl, she darted forward and caught him off guard when she kicked at his feet. His feet went out from under him and his back hit the ground hard.

When he stood, he was so close her cheeks grew warm. In an attempt to make distance, she stumbled back and reached out to hold on to something, grabbing his arm and bringing him down along with her.

"Damn, you're heavy than you look!" She clung to his shoulders, their laughter filling the forest as she managed to turn them around. Their gazes met for a brief moment and when she realized she was moving closer, she stopped. The warmth on her cheeks spread to her entire face as she met his gaze once again. He stared at her with evident love, a love she knew could never be returned.

His eyes averted. "It's time to head back."

"We are not required to attend the meeting. We're only fifteen."

Now, he looked at her directly in her eyes. She stared back at the enchanting eyes that reminded her so much of the forest she adored. As his eyes shone amber, he reached up and clasped his hand on the back of her head before pulling her down, pressing their foreheads together.

"One day, everything will be different. Hopefully, by then, I will be able to shout to the whole world how much I love you."

She pulled back. "Caleb, that time will never come. Besides, we're so young. Mom says that love at this age is nothing but puppy love."

He shook his head, cupping her face in his hands. "My love for you will last for eternity."

With a cry, Ludovica woke and shoved Dmitri away, pressing her trembling hands over her aching temples. "What were you doing?"

He remained silent for a brief moment, before lowering his hand to his side. "I was trying to help you heal faster."

She hesitated for a moment. "Did you see it?"

He nodded. "My magic has some side effects. Since I tried taking your pain away...I was overwhelmed with your pain of losing not only your family but Caleb as well. You were remembering...and since we were connected during the healing process, I saw it as well...I felt the love you feel for him and the pain of losing him."

She drew the blanket back and heaved herself out of the bed, glad that her feet didn't quiver when she stood. Dmitri pushed back the dark-rimmed glasses he wore as his opaque eyes flickered amber. Ludovica's eyes narrowed when she noticed the canine teeth peeking through his parted lips. She found herself staring until her own teeth changed.

With a gasp, she took a step away. "What the hell is happening?"

Dmitri seemed just as bewildered as he stared at his trembling hands, human nails changing to wolf claws. When he took a step forward, she didn't step back and held her chin high, snarling for him to back off.

Of course, he ignored her threat.

Her eyes fluttered closed when he fisted a hand in her scarlet curls before jerking her closer to him. Apparently, the current proximity wasn't enough. He drew her even closer until their bodies touched from chest to knee. The heat that enveloped her made her lightheaded.