CHAPTER SEVEN

Shaking his head as he blinked a couple of times, Alfonso rose from the floor. Seconds later, Jaqueline did as well. For a brief moment, Ludovica wondered why did her beta react the way she did when the rogue snapped Alfonso's neck.

"Where the hell is the rogue?" asked Alfonso as he glanced at her.

"I let him go." When his eyes widened, she said, "He is being followed as we speak."

"Hopefully, he will lead us to his leader."

We lost the rogue.

At Felix's revelation, Ludovica's eyes widened. What the hell do you mean you lost him?

We were not far behind when the forest...it seemed to come to life. Some roots tore through the earth and held us captive until the rogue managed to make enough distance to escape without giving away the location of the others.

With a growl of frustration, she clenched her fists at her sides. She should have known Dmitri would come to the aid of his comrade. Though, she had heard many stories of rogues leaving the weak link behind to avoid the entire group from getting caught. Yet, Dmitri did not leave his comrade to his fate. On the contrary, he helped him escape.

"What's going on?" Alfonso asked.

"He managed to escape."

"Great—Now, what do we do?" Jackson growled. "This was our only chance to trap them all."

"We will scout for any hint of their location later. Now, I think we all need some rest."

"I think we should do it now."

"We are all tired and need rest. It is best to fight our opponents at our full potential. Get some sleep." Before her brother could keep arguing, Ludovica made her way toward the elevator that would lead her back to the main level. Without speaking a word, Jacqueline followed her all the way back to her room.

Once the door clicked closed behind them, Ludovica propped her hands on her hips. "Why did you react the way you did?"

Jacqueline didn't face her. "I don't know what you're speaking of."

"You—You like him, don't you?"

She shook her head. "Of course not—and even if I did—not saying that I do...he is beyond my reach." When Jacqueline faced her, Ludovica was greeted with crystalline eyes filled with a hidden agony. "He loves you. He is going to marry you."

"We might be betrothed, but we don't love each other."

Jacqueline sat down on the edge of the bed, her hands clasped on her lap. "Everything is being prepared for their funeral."

What a good way to change the subject.

Ludovica nodded, not capable of speaking. Her eyes stung with tears, but she fought them. Tears weren't going to bring them back, or punish those responsible for taking them from her. At this instant, she wanted nothing but to die, to end the pain. She didn't think she could continue living without them, with the image of her car bursting into flames devouring them.

"I'm going to get some sleep."

Jacqueline rose from the bed and gave Ludovica a kiss on the cheek. "Be strong. Your parents wouldn't want you to drown in it all. If you crumble, our pack will as well."

"I know."

Once the door clicked closed, Ludovica couldn't hold back the tears anymore. With the back of her hand, she wiped them away then headed into the bathroom to take a shower. After she removed her clothes, she jumped into the shower and allowed the warm drops to hit her body. She leaned her head against the cold tile wall then began to cry until her eyes burned, tears mixing up with the water trickling down her cheeks.