CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Dmitri held a firm grip on the only thing keeping him from flying out of Hellen's back. The glamour kept those below from noticing them, but it wouldn't last long. The small arms around his waist gave him a slight squeeze.

"I hate heights."

"You're not the only one," he admitted.

He could feel Angie shuddering against him and wanted to reassure her that everything would be okay, but how could he when in reality he had no idea if they would live. Diego's army was more than that small number guarding his home. Once they took them out, they had to deal with the rest, along with Yadira.

He looked down and almost staggered out off Hellen's back when the entire world seemed to be spinning. He remembered that day he had decided it would be fun to ride a dragon, how he had fallen out of her back and plummeted down to the ground, but before he smashed his face, he had come to an abrupt stop, his nose barely inches from the ground. When he had glanced up, he was glad to see Derick, the one now flying beside him.

"We need to get to the roof before the others try to take out those on the ground."

Dmitri had no idea what happened. All he saw was Angie releasing him and falling right out of Hellen's back. Hellen tried to grab her, but gravity pushed her at full speed toward the ground. He must have been insane as he ran and jump out of his friend's back.

Even though she was plummeting to her death, Angie did not scream. She knew if she did, she would alert everyone of her presence, even the enemy.

Dmitri reached down as she reached up and managed to wrap his fingers around her small wrist. With wide eyes, she stared at him, her hair flying in every which way. Those eyes told him that not only was she petrified, but wanted to tell him something before they met their death.

He should have thought this through.

Being in the back of a dragon wasn't something easy.

He managed to wrap his arms around her as they turned and turned in their air. He had promised Jace he wouldn't let her get hurt and now, they were plummeting to their death.

The fluttering of wings made him raised his hands as Angie kept a firm grip around his waist. Hands grabbed his and then they were gliding down toward the roof. At the moment, Dmitri was glad that his friend was a powerful bird-shifter.

Angie dropped first to the roof, as silent as a fallen feather before she grabbed one of the guards and shoved her blade into the side of his head. Dmitri landed beside her and gestured for Derick to leave. As they ran across the roof toward one of the branches closest to the house, they took out every guard. Dmitri stopped for a moment, thinking this was way too easy.

But he had no time to waste.

Angie grabbed the last guard before she buried the blade of her dagger into his chest. Dmitri realized this must have been one of her pack members because she completely lost it. She stabbed the man over and over until tears streamed down her face.

Dmitri grabbed her forearm and hauled her to her feet. "Calm down."

She nodded and wiped the blood from her face. "I'm sorry."

"Come on." They leaped from the edge of the roof into the trees and waited. Dmitri watched his best friend eliminate those in the front yard without much effort, along with Vincent. Fifty wolves fell to two vampires.

Dmitri smiled as he caught sight of Walter eliminating the guards at the back of the house. Eleanor was the one leading the team that was supposed to take out those guards. Dmitri could almost imagine her face when Walter joined her group.